1. Back To Top    #1

Low TA

Ph 7.8
    FC 8
    TA 54
    CYA 62
    CH 232
    Borax 53

We have a spa that spills over into the pool and I believe that is the reason I am always fighting high Ph. We had been running our pump 12 hours a day, but I think I now understand that isn't necessary when manually adding liquid chlorine. I cut the timer back to 5 hours in the morning which covers when the pool cleaner runs and should be enough to mix everything after I dose the pool in the morning. I'm hoping that helps with my Ph issues.

Do you think I should raise the TA with Baking Soda yet, or is it okay for it to be this low to help keep the Ph more stable?
    19,000 gal aqua blue pebble sheen, 3.5-7 ft. depth, chiseled flagstone coping, spillover spa, raised back wall with stacked stone face including two columns and curved wall water feature with three 18" sheer descents, two bubblers on 5' x 10' suntanning shelf, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed, Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU, Pentair Legend, Rainbow 320 chlorinator (now unused), K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low TA

Your corrosion to plaster potential is likely a bit high with those numbers. What is your makeup water TA?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Your corrosion to plaster potential is likely a bit high with those numbers. What is your makeup water TA?
    54 was the number the pool store gave me when I took water in to check my Borax level because I don't have test strips yet. They called it Adjusted Total Alkalinity.

I just did the test on my own and got TA of 80. My fill water tests at 270.
    19,000 gal aqua blue pebble sheen, 3.5-7 ft. depth, chiseled flagstone coping, spillover spa, raised back wall with stacked stone face including two columns and curved wall water feature with three 18" sheer descents, two bubblers on 5' x 10' suntanning shelf, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed, Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU, Pentair Legend, Rainbow 320 chlorinator (now unused), K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok,

Don't worry about the ATA number. Its a negligible difference.

Trust your own results, and don't worry about adding Alakalinity. You have plenty in your fill water, and it will be high enough pretty soon. You could always top up the pool and backwash to get some in there now if you wanted, but if it were me, I wouldnt worrry if that 80 TA you got was a good number. Betting it was.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

I watched a Taylor You Tube video to be sure I was doing the test right. I added the drops in quick succession like they did on the video. I get 80 every time on the pool water and 260 on the fill water. I guess I can stop worrying for now. Lol. I will see if cutting back on running the pump helps at all with my climbing pH.

6. Back To Top    #6

It will help for sure. And it sounds like you have the test nailed to perfection so good to hear that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: