Raypak 407A ignition failure no pilot sensed

Apr 15, 2017
Waxahachie,tx
The heater display was doing very weird stuff...incorrect displays and would not even try to spark. I replaced the control board. Now it correctly tries to start up. I can hear the spark. But I get the "ignition failure no pilot sensed" failure. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe this sounds dumb, but I don't even know where to look to "see" if the pilot light is it. I have looked inside/underneath but really don't see where the flame would be. But, when I do get really close to look underneath inside I smell gas faintly...

Anyone have a pic of the pilot light flame?

I am assuming you have the electronic ignition model (not the millivolt with the pilot light that is always burning) Can you confirm?
The electronic spark ignition is more common and desirable, because there is no pilot light "always burning" so no gas is wasted.

here's a link the manual http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fetchDocument.aspx?id=9858dad5-021a-4216-b0d5-1e29edd2f913
See pages 5 and 6 - let us know what type you have. I don't think the "millivolt" style is even available in the low-NOx models (the 407A)

Never worked on a raypak, but i've worked on a lot of burners... I assume you have access to the gas valve if you are in the panel changing the board. Off of the valve there should be a small, usually aluminum pilot tube - follow it and you should find the pilot burner.

It is the electronic ignition model.

I am assuming you have the electronic ignition model (not the millivolt with the pilot light that is always burning) Can you confirm?
The electronic spark ignition is more common and desirable, because there is no pilot light "always burning" so no gas is wasted.

here's a link the manual http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fetchDocument.aspx?id=9858dad5-021a-4216-b0d5-1e29edd2f913
See pages 5 and 6 - let us know what type you have. I don't think the "millivolt" style is even available in the low-NOx models (the 407A)

The troubleshooting steps for the electronic pilot style is on page 45 of the manual I linked to. Note that is says "on some models the ignition module shuts of gas to pilot if the pilot doesn't light and power to the heater must be interrupted to reset".

Maybe this sounds dumb, but I don't even know where to look to "see" if the pilot light is it. I have looked inside/underneath but really don't see where the flame would be. But, when I do get really close to look underneath inside I smell gas faintly...

Anyone have a pic of the pilot light flame?

With the front panel off, when you hear it clicking to light, look down around the burners on the right side of the unit. You should see the ignitor and if it lit the pilot, you will see a small blue flame. How old is the unit and did you use the correct board? There are two different styles of boards.

With the front panel off, when you hear it clicking to light, look down around the burners on the right side of the unit. You should see the ignitor and if it lit the pilot, you will see a small blue flame. How old is the unit and did you use the correct board? There are two different styles of boards.

I used the board that Raypak told me was the correct replacement. However it is a little different than the original board. Two of the connectors are installed opposite from the original, but the pins match up if you turn the connector around and everything seems to work correctly. No error codes except of course the "no pilot".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes you had the older style board and they just gave you the part number for the newer systems. I have had mixed issues when I swap out the older board(prior to 2003 units) with the new style. They should be interchangeable but I do not agree with that based upon what I see in the field.

Can you post a picture of the unit along with the serial number of it. Then I can have an idea as to the exact age of the unit.

Did you get a chance to look if the pilot light lit when the unit is sparking? I'm also curious if the gas valve is getting powered when it is trying to light. You should hear a clunk sound when it is opening the pilot side of the valve. You can also feel it and you should feel it click as well. I would take the front panel off the unit, power the unit up and right away put your hand on the valve. After it boots up it should try to light and then is when you would feel he gas valve try to open.

When I set the temp above the current temp the unit display says "spark", I hear a fairly loud click, and it seems like I can feel something in the valve, but hard to say. I also hear sparking BUT, while the spark used to sound like a loud rapid clicking when the unit was working correctly, now it sounds more like a rapid buzzing or chirping.

I am interested to see what you find. I have the same exact heater with the same error codes (no pilot sensed, ignition failure). I am going through the troubleshooting steps on page 45 that countybumpkin referenced above. Make sure you turn off the gas at the gas valve when troubleshooting the pilot assembly, especially if you have your head down there looking around.

OK you need to check and see if the pilot light or not. If not, you can very carefully use a long BBQ lighter and then while it's clicking to light, stick that down there and see if the BBQ lighter can light it. Sometimes that does the trick especially if the unit hasn't been run in a while.

I have looked underneath, used a flashlight, tried everything I can think of and I just cannot figure out where to look to see if the pilot light is lit or not. I see where the gas connects via the small line to the pilot light assembly, but after that I cannot see where to look to see the flame, nor can I see where I would place a BBQ lighter to manually light the pilot. It seems fairly inaccessible to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.