Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dumb mistake when closing - any suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dumb mistake when closing - any suggestions?

Sooooo .... when i was closing i had trouble getting one of the directional eyelets (or whatever the correct term is) out of the return and i ended up taking the faceplate off for some reason and never put it back on. Over the winter the liner moved about a quarter of an inch and now i can't get it back over the return to put everything back together.

My thought was to buy a liner sample and patch / cover the entire area, cut out a hole for the return then put the gasket and plate in place and screw it all back together. I'm not too far from needing a liner but want to get another year or two.

Sound ok?

Any other suggestions? I thought of lowering the water down below the return then trying hot water on it to see if it would move enough to go back into place?

Thanks in advance!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dumb mistake when closing - any suggestions?

Both your ideas make sense to me...but if you have my kind of luck, have the patch kit on hand as backup if the hot-water stretch doesn't work or leads to a tear
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

Either method would work. . I would try pouring HOT water RIGHT over that area and seeing if that allows you move it just enough without removing any water. Just be very careful. I don't have high hopes but worth a try.

Let us know what you try and how it goes please. This could be a learning experience for all.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a follow up - the liner moved back towards the original position a bit and with the hot water i was able to reuse the same holes. Obviously my fingers are crossed that i don't have any issues.

I do have a liner sample and boxer glue on hand just in case.

Thanks for the update.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you lower the water ot just pour the hot water over it while it was under water?

Glad it worked out!!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Did you lower the water ot just pour the hot water over it while it was under water?

Glad it worked out!!!!

Kim
    I lowered it below the return. The water was probably 50 degrees so I think i needed to. Its been 24 hours and I don't believe i have lost any water (fingers crossed!)

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

7. Back To Top    #7

That is good info to have just in case someone else comes along with a problem close to this.

water is 50 burrrrrrrrssss???? Yeah I guess you did need to lower it!

Kim