Solar heating pump questions

Chemnut

In The Industry
Apr 5, 2017
Maine
I hope this isn't a hijack but here is my question.

i have a 1 hp superpump that runs 10 hours a day, it's basically on at the same time that my Hayward solar controller opens the valve to my 350 sq ft of panels.

My question is this, will converting to a vs pump save me money and or will the speed need to be bumped up so much that the gain on lower speeds is basically nil? My pressure on filter is 17 psi when panels are off and goes to 22 when the controller opens the valve. Can my solar controller also control my pump speed? My rate is only around 10 cents per kw I believe.

Re: optimal time to run pool solar heater

It is a bit of a hijack but, I'll answer it.

Your 1hp pump uses at least 1000 watts, maybe up to 1400 watts. My 3hp Intelliflo pump uses 150 watts 1100 rpm on solar standby. And it uses 550 watts at 1950 rpm or 620 watts at 2000 rpm running solar. The number are similar for a 1-1/2 hp Superflo VS pump. So, you will definitely save money. At 10.25c/kWh I can run my pump at 1100 rpm 24x7 for less than 12 bucks per month.

Trying not to derail further but @Chemnut don't forget to look into Utility rebates on VS Pumps and also rebates being offered by both Pentair and Hayward right now too. Anything further should be posed in a separate thread though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It is a bit of a hijack but, I'll answer it.

Your 1hp pump uses at least 1000 watts, maybe up to 1400 watts. My 3hp Intelliflo pump uses 150 watts 1100 rpm on solar standby. And it uses 550 watts at 1950 rpm or 620 watts at 2000 rpm running solar. The number are similar for a 1-1/2 hp Superflo VS pump. So, you will definitely save money. At 10.25c/kWh I can run my pump at 1100 rpm 24x7 for less than 12 bucks per month.

Sorry for the partial hi jack. You think 1100 rpm will give me the water flow needed for panels? Can my Hayward solar controller control a 115v VS pump? My pad is wired 115. Do 115v VS pumps offer the same savings? Is there a graph that shows gallons per minute on certain speeds?

No, my pump runs on standby at 1100 rpm. The solar controller ramps the pump speed up to 2000 rpm for solar and opens the solar valve.

Yes, the GL-235 can ramp the pump speed for a 2 speed pump or for a 1-1/2hp VS pump like the Pentair Superflo, which runs on 115 or 220, by using a relay to switch the pump to speed two, using thee optional comm cable. Yes, the Pentair Superflo VS pump, 342001, offer similar savings, not quite as good as the Intelliflo but still very good. Also, very quiet.

Chemnut I am going to follow this thread as I have been looking for detailed instructions. I have a similar set up. Can you put your pool and equipment specs and info in your signature bar?

Yes, add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Both of you would benefit significantly by using the Pentair 342001, 1-1/2 hp VS pump with the optional comm cable and use a relay in the GL-235 to change pump speed when solar heat is available. It also has a built in timer that will turn the pump on and off at various times/speeds. You could run at 1100 or 1200 rpm for skimming, filtering and solar standby which would use 150-170 watts of electricity. Then the solar controller would open the solar valve and ramp the pump to speed 2 which would likely be somewhere around 2000 rpm and use 600-800 watts. Which would be a lot less energy than what your current pumps use. The Pentair Superflo VS pump operates on 110v or 220v.

Hayward also makes a smaller VS pump called the Maxflo VS that has a built in timer and operates on 110v or 220v. It would also likely be a good option. I am just not as familiar with Hayward pumps because I own Pentair equipment. It would be worth a call to Hayward to discuss the options for using the Maxflo VS with the GL-235 solar controller. Inyo Pools could probably also help with this question.

I notice the pentair superflo is 1.5 hp, where the superpump vs is only .85 and the max flo vs is 1 hp. I believe I will need that extra hp to get the water flow needed to get my solar working properly? When my solar is on, the flow from the returns is reduced in half when compared to when it's off. Does that make sense or should I set the actuated valve more open to let more water into the pool?

Chemnut when my solar is on all the water is diverted to the solar panels. The flow in my returns seem to be the same. My filter psi goes from 13psi to 19 psi. Hope this helps :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe the Maxflo VS is also available in 1.65 hp. All water flow is diverted to my solar panels also. If you can get to the panels on a sunny day feel the panels to see if they are warm or cool. You want the panels to be not too hot and you want the water returning to the pool to be not too warm. It is good to have a little more pump than you need like the Superflo VS so that you can adjust the water flow as high as you need to.

I notice the pentair superflo is 1.5 hp, where the superpump vs is only .85 and the max flo vs is 1 hp. I believe I will need that extra hp to get the water flow needed to get my solar working properly? When my solar is on, the flow from the returns is reduced in half when compared to when it's off. Does that make sense or should I set the actuated valve more open to let more water into the pool?
For years, I ran my solar on a two story roof 25' in the air with a 1/2 HP pump. So you don't need a huge pump to run solar. Just make sure the max head of the pump is at least 65' or the head at 40 GPM is twice the height of the panels. This will ensure the pump "size" is sufficient for solar. But nearly every pump on the market today is capable of solar. There are only handful that I would not recommend but most are AG pumps.

Unfortunately the maxflo requires 230v. I am interested in going to a variable speed pump but not if I have to get my pool house wired for 230. Them thar electricians are expensive boys plus I don't think my panel has room.

I guess I'm being stubborn, I love my super pumps basket, my neighbor has a pentair and it's a wrestling match every time he needs to remove the lid. I'm leaning towards the superpump vs but concerned it's only .85 hp. My pools all plumbed with 1.5" pipe, the tun to the solar is 60' with a vertical rise of 14'. My panels are always cool to the touch, do you think I have the flow rate to big and should reduce the amount of water to them? Do you know what the minimum flow rate is for a flow switch on a aquarite?

I'm leaning towards the superpump vs but concerned it's only .85 hp.
There are several other SuperPump VSs.

SuperPump SP2600VSP Hayward 1.5 THP
SuperPump SP2600VSP2 Hayward 1.5 THP
SuperPump SP2602VSP Hayward 1.5 THP
SuperPump SP2603VSP Hayward 1.65 THP

Do you know what the minimum flow rate is for a flow switch on a aquarite?
15 GPM. Far less than what solar will require.

My panels are always cool to the touch
That is a good thing. Means high efficiency.

My temp difference is between 2 to 3 degrees difference for input and output. Do you have a temp on your swg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mas985, I believe the only 115v is the .85 hp.

brentr, most times the returning water is 2-3 degrees hotter. On a nice June day, because of my panels all facing true south and I would guess a 30 degree incline, I have seen my pool go from 72 to 84. Seriously lol. As the season progresses and the sun gets higher, my efficiency drops big time. Late August I am lucky to get a 4 degree bump.

My pools all plumbed with 1.5" pipe, the tun to the solar is 60' with a vertical rise of 14'.
With only a 14' rise, the SP26115VSP should work fine. At higher head, they allow the pump to ramp up to 3450 RPM which helps with high head low flow rates so it should be able to prime the panels just fine.

Can anyone explain the procedure and parts needed for my Hayward gl-23405 solar controller to also control my pump? Bare in mind this is also hooked up 115v. I am unsure of the definition of a relay?

It shows how to hook up the pump in the manual? https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/AquaSolarGL-235.pdf

Or were you asking if the controller can control speeds?

A relay is basically and electronically controlled switch.

I would hook up the controller to be independent from the pump (i.e pump is always powered). You can then use the solar valve voltage control to change the speed of the VS pump. The pump would use the internal timers and speed controls when solar is not in demand. When solar turns on, the voltage across the valve actuator control can be used to switch the VS pump speed to a speed set for solar. See page 16 of the pump manual.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/super-pump-vs-S26115VSP.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.