Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2nd TEST w/ K-2006

1. Back To Top    #1

2nd TEST w/ K-2006

Okay,

2nd test... Getting comfortable with the process, however my skills at balancing chemicals are dismal at best. I am going through so much chlorine it is not funny. Is it because our Ozone was finally hooked up ? have not added chlorine since I shocked the pool.

here is today's reading:

FC = 0.2 ( too low to detect really )
    PH = 7.0 (added 13 drops of base demand test agent to bring it up to 7.4)
    TA = 40 PPM
    CH = 130 PPM
    CYA = not detectable AT ALL.

I went to home depot and bought all the chemicals I need. I have everything now ( Yay...saved money, did not go to pool store.)

SO... Where do I start and what chemical do I add first ? Im thinking of starting with CYA first so my chlorine will stay a little longer. Of should I concentrate on my TA first ?

HELP !!! (Please)

Thanks everyone.

Mike
    18 X 38, 18K gal, IGP W/ Infinity Spa. EasyTouch 8 ch
    Pentair 1.5HP VS pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Pentair 250K HD heater, Del Ozone Corona Discharge
    - Generator ( Eclipse 10 ).
    Pebble Tec Finish. Dolphin Triton Plus vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2nd TEST w/ K-2006

Sounds like a good plan. I would also start with CYA, use the calculator to get your numbers right and recheck. This
    will give you confidence with the calculator and your testing.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice work. Yes, you need to raise CYA to 40-50. Raise TA to 60 and raise CH to 250. It doesn't really matter what you add first. More here about pool chems and how to add the, to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    ... It doesn't really matter what you add first.
    Maybe it goes without saying, but if it were my pool I think I would get the chlorine up off of zero before starting in with the others. Seems like tempting fate otherwise...
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, chlorine must always be maintained above minimum for your CYA at all times to keep the pool sanitary and algae free. FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thankfully one can add CYA then turn right around and add the chlorine without batting an eye! Put the CYA in a sock in your skimmer to dissolved over time, pour the chlorine in to the water in front of a pool return so that it mixes in quickly.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

7. Back To Top    #7

What would I do without you people ??? Thanks a million for the advice.... You guys are ROCK STARS !!!!

Mike
    18 X 38, 18K gal, IGP W/ Infinity Spa. EasyTouch 8 ch
    Pentair 1.5HP VS pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Pentair 250K HD heater, Del Ozone Corona Discharge
    - Generator ( Eclipse 10 ).
    Pebble Tec Finish. Dolphin Triton Plus vacuum.

8. Back To Top    #8

We know what happens without us. Green pools and lots of money given to the pool store!
    TFP Moderator