Swamp Fever...First Time Pool Opening....SLAM Time

The one thing that scares me the most about not seeing the bottom of the pool, is how many little valleys or low spots are there going to be under the liner. I know there are at least two new little valleys that I could feel the leaf rake hit when I was going around the pool. They probably aren't but a quarter inch wide or less but still, I know they are there.

Evening check: FC = 9ppm added 30oz bleach to get back to 11ppm

skimmed, raked (will I ever get all the leaves out?) and brushed. Pool didn't look like the picture I posted earlier after doing all that...LOL

As soon as you get the last leaf out there will be a wind storm to help you out :roll:

Kim:kim:

That is probably 100% true...LOL

At least if I could see the bottom I'd know what I'm dealing with leave wise. Haha

Something I have noticed is at least once a day the return pressure has dropped and so has the pressure on the gauge. I have to backwash for about 15 seconds and then go back to filter and it's back to normal. Any clue why this happens? It happened sometime overnight last night.

Morning Check:
FC = 8ppm brought it back up to 11ppm

No skimming required this morning but I did brush it again.

Are taking pics so you can see the progress? Some times that is what helps you the most. That way you can see it is clearing no matter how slowly.

:hug: One day you will be able to see all the way to the bottom and see very little piece of dirt!

Usually, a drop in pressure means there is something blocking the incoming water from the skimmer or bottom drain. Anything on the way to the pump. Maybe a clump of leaves or something like that...

A rise in pressure means dirty filter or something blocking the water returning to the pool.

(I have seen filters with the gauge on the opposite side, but those are few and far between.)

Are taking pics so you can see the progress? Some times that is what helps you the most. That way you can see it is clearing no matter how slowly.

:hug: One day you will be able to see all the way to the bottom and see very little piece of dirt!

I have been taking pictures once a day since I took the cover off.

I'm sure it could stand to be vacuumed but I can't do that until I know all the leaves are out.

Usually, a drop in pressure means there is something blocking the incoming water from the skimmer or bottom drain. Anything on the way to the pump. Maybe a clump of leaves or something like that...

A rise in pressure means dirty filter or something blocking the water returning to the pool.

(I have seen filters with the gauge on the opposite side, but those are few and far between.)

Every time it's happened I've checked the skimmer and there is nothing in the basket so maybe something is getting pasted the pump basket and clogging the line enough to drop the pressure. I wonder if I just turn the pump off for a few minutes and turn it back on if that will take care of the issue next time it happens. I wouldn't think by backwashing that would get the clog out.

Since I plumbed it all with pvc this year instead of the flex pipe it came with, my psi has been 5psi higher than it was last year. Ran at 10psi with the flex pipe last summer and has been running at 15psi so far this year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I checked CYA yesterday afternoon and had to do it twice to make sure I saw it right. First time it read 40 second 35, I guess there was already some in there from when I did the original test last week (user error on the test, it was cloudy outside). Good thing I only added enough CYA to raise it 20ppm and not 30ppm. With that said I've adjusted my chlorine as required for my SLAM with 40ppm CYA.

The cya test will last to test when sunny. Your cya shouldn't leave your pool very fast.

My story on clearing my pool. It still isn't clear. I have been working on my pool for over a month and a half. My pump isn't adequate to clear up a pool. But I had no problem keeping it clean. I had to backwash multiple times a day. Started running the pump only when I was home and not when I was asleep. Due to the fact it had to be backwashed frequently. I extended the pump time daily. It took 30 gals of bleach before the clorine stabilized. Keep it up it will get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

@Tvarnell that's a long time to work on a pool but I understand why.

Bit of discouraging news from my Doctor. I've been having extreme pain by my shoulder blade that extends all down my right arm causing my arm to go numb and become weak. I have to sit or stand with my forearm laying across my head to relieve the nerve and pain. It's apparently a herniated disc in my neck (haven't done an mri yet) but most signs point to that. He did do an x-ray just to make sure there wasn't a tumor or anything on my neck. It must just be inflamed and pushing on a nerve that runs under my shoulder blade and down my arm (cervical nerve??). Getting some pain meds and steroid for the inflammation (hopefully that will settle it down) so I can get back to a normal life. I can hardly do my job (CAD Technician for an engineering firm) because I can't keep my arm on a desk very long to use the mouse (took me a little bit to get this typed).

So with that said, it's gonna be hard for me to brush, skim, etc the pool...Looks like I'm gonna have to make my wife and kids get out there in the evenings and do it (they need to know how anyway) it's just easier for me to do it myself (normally). I'm just a little bummed because I like working on the pool.

I say you float on a floating chair with an adult drink in you hand and supervise!

I am sorry to hear you are having problems. That is a bummer for sure :( Any idea when the MRI is? Make sure to take a pain pill 30 mins before the MRI as laying on the table will NOT be fun with a bum shoulder. :hug:

Kim (no cheering on this one)

I say you float on a floating chair with an adult drink in you hand and supervise!

I am sorry to hear you are having problems. That is a bummer for sure :( Any idea when the MRI is? Make sure to take a pain pill 30 mins before the MRI as laying on the table will NOT be fun with a bum shoulder. :hug:

Kim (no cheering on this one)

If my pain isn't better in a week then I guess we will schedule an MRI. I barely made it through the x-ray because of the pain and my muscles in my arm will start to twitch and spasm. Weird sensation for sure...LOL

I like the idea of a floating chair and adult drink, wonder how that would work with my pain meds??? Hmmmmmm I'll turn the fountain on and relax while they all work.

YOU may NOT vacuum your pool. Now if someone in the family wants to they are allowed.

How is your water looking?

Well I wish I could get my kids to do it but they start and then quit. My wife is mowing so I'm not asking her. LOL

Pool looks like it did in the last picture on page 1 of my thread...well it did until I brushed it and then vacuumed it or should I say I helped.

I'll post another picture tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.