Best part of "Just Getting Started" is the first day in the pool. Dallas suburbs.

Feb 15, 2017
Little Elm, TX
Best part of "Just Getting Started" is the first day in the pool. Dallas suburbs.

First time pool owner this year, build was finished the beginning of March and, today was my first day in the pool. Granted, I've technically been in the pool already but, only after I was overheated from the spa. Today was my first day, straight cold plunge and, it was...amazing. Pool temp 75, air temp 80. I stayed in for about 30 minutes. I'm so happy that we finally have a pool! I feel like a kid again! Anyone else get in and enjoy their pool today even though it was a bit cool? Especially my DFW neighbors?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Re: Best part of "Just Getting Started" is the first day in the pool. Dallas suburbs.

First time pool owner this year, build was finished the beginning of March and, today was my first day in the pool. Granted, I've technically been in the pool already but, only after I was overheated from the spa. Today was my first day, straight cold plunge and, it was...amazing. Pool temp 75, air temp 80. I stayed in for about 30 minutes. I'm so happy that we finally have a pool! I feel like a kid again! Anyone else get in and enjoy their pool today even though it was a bit cool? Especially my DFW neighbors?

I'm a first timer as well. I'm up in Frisco. I have been in, but I cheated and heated the pool. My pool is small, so I can heat it for about $30 to $50 per weekend starting about the middle of March. I don't heat it every weekend, only when the outside temp gets into the 80's, like this weekend. In-fact, I'm about the knock off work for the weekend and head for my pool. Cheers neighbor!

Re: Best part of "Just Getting Started" is the first day in the pool. Dallas suburbs.

I'm a first timer as well. I'm up in Frisco. I have been in, but I cheated and heated the pool. My pool is small, so I can heat it for about $30 to $50 per weekend starting about the middle of March. I don't heat it every weekend, only when the outside temp gets into the 80's, like this weekend. In-fact, I'm about the knock off work for the weekend and head for my pool. Cheers neighbor!
Hi Neighbor! I'm right next door in Little Elm! I'm so glad that you are getting to enjoy yours today, as well. What temp do you have it heated to? The cost you laid out is very reasonable. I have no idea what it would cost to heat ours and my Groom isn't willing to let me find out so, I'm looking to learn more about that, lol! Enjoy your swim! :)

Hi Neighbor! I'm right next door in Little Elm! I'm so glad that you are getting to enjoy yours today, as well. What temp do you have it heated to? The cost you laid out is very reasonable. I have no idea what it would cost to heat ours and my Groom isn't willing to let me find out so, I'm looking to learn more about that, lol! Enjoy your swim! :)

I heat it to 85. I have a solar cover so when I get out of the pool, I cover the pool with the solar cover. I only lose about 5 degrees over night to the pool heats back up to 85 easily the next day. So when I know the outside temp is going to be in the 80's, I will start heating the pool about 10 AM on Friday morning while I'm at work. Then, by the time I get home (around 5:00 or 5:30), it is ready to go. Then at night I cover it, and turn the heater off. And then I turn it back on Saturday morning around 10:00 or so and it is ready by noon. Then repeat for Sunday.

My pool is only 10,000 gallons and my heater is 400,000 btu. In Feb, we had a weekend in the upper 70's and I heated it from 55 to 85 for $50. So needless to say I didn't make that a habit. But once we got into March and April the water temp warmed into the 70's and it doesn't cost very much at all to heat it now. Another couple of weeks and I won't have to use the heater again until Sept. or Oct.

But the solar cover is the key because it holds the heat in during the night. The cover and reel cost me about $250 total, but it paid for it self pretty fast. Someone on here posted that their pool heating bill went from $600/month to $200/month after they added their solar cover. Based on my experience I can totally see that if you heat your pool every weekend in Feb and Mar. I don't do it that often but it is a nice option to have for special occasions (Super Bowl Sunday!).

I heat it to 85. I have a solar cover so when I get out of the pool, I cover the pool with the solar cover. I only lose about 5 degrees over night to the pool heats back up to 85 easily the next day. So when I know the outside temp is going to be in the 80's, I will start heating the pool about 10 AM on Friday morning while I'm at work. Then, by the time I get home (around 5:00 or 5:30), it is ready to go. Then at night I cover it, and turn the heater off. And then I turn it back on Saturday morning around 10:00 or so and it is ready by noon. Then repeat for Sunday.

My pool is only 10,000 gallons and my heater is 400,000 btu. In Feb, we had a weekend in the upper 70's and I heated it from 55 to 85 for $50. So needless to say I didn't make that a habit. But once we got into March and April the water temp warmed into the 70's and it doesn't cost very much at all to heat it now. Another couple of weeks and I won't have to use the heater again until Sept. or Oct.

But the solar cover is the key because it holds the heat in during the night. The cover and reel cost me about $250 total, but it paid for it self pretty fast. Someone on here posted that their pool heating bill went from $600/month to $200/month after they added their solar cover. Based on my experience I can totally see that if you heat your pool every weekend in Feb and Mar. I don't do it that often but it is a nice option to have for special occasions (Super Bowl Sunday!).
Oh my goodness! Super Bowl Sunday would be amazing in a pool...My parents had a solar cover on their pool when I was growing up but we lived on Long Island so, it was basically a necessity if you wanted to swim before July. ;)It also didn't have a reel so let me tell you how much work THAT was, taking it on and off. I didn't realize that people used them down here. I may have to look at that. Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it!

Wow, 75 degrees??? My pool is 85 right now and it's still too cold for me. I like the pool 88 degrees on up.

A pool cover and reel is a must. Without my cover the pool would be around 78/79, so it makes a difference. My pool is 40 x 20 so I wouldn't even think about not having a reel.

Pool was at 78 degrees today. It took me a while to get all the way in but it was great when i got in. I had to test out this awesome sparkling water.

Pool was at 78 degrees today. It took me a while to get all the way in but it was great when i got in. I had to test out this awesome sparkling water.

I can handle getting in a 78 degree pool if it is sunny out. It is the getting out part that gets me. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We've been pushing 90 every day recently, so the pool (with solar cover permanently installed unless I'm swimming - I lose more heat to evaporation than I lose to the sun not having direct access to the water) has been getting to around 83-84 in the afternoons. A quick pop with the heater puts it into very swimmable temperature for us. :)

Water is 72 degrees today, still too cold for me but my grandchildren have spent the past several days swimming. They say the water isn't cold, as they sit there shivering and teeth chattering. Kids.

First spring with our pool too. Cover came off Monday. Fired up the heater today. Air temp 70 ish. Supposed to be 80 tomorrow and high 70's Monday (which is a local holiday). I have no idea what it is costing me, but the pool went from 55 to 68 this morning before we started sending the heat to the spa only. I promise you, our neighbors in Massachusetts think we are a little bit nuts, but had a great day with the kids today. Hoping to push the water up to 80 tomorrow. With the spa at 100, the kids tolerate the pool pretty cold... sadly the high temp for Tuesday is in the 40's. So maybe we will be on hiatus for a while after the long weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.