Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for new SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Time for new SWG?

Hi guys,

The last time my chlorine generator died it didn't register salt above areading of 2300 and stopped producing chlorine even though there was plenty of salt in the pool. I think this one is about 5 years old so I know it is getting close to having to replace it but i am not sure yet. The serial # is: 3E11209-2686626 - it is a T-Cell 15.

I am getting very different readings between the salt level, which it says is at 3000 and the instant salinity reading, which used to read about the same as the normal salt reading, then started to display about half of what the normal reading was and now is down to 300 even though the normal reading is still 3000 before I push the diagnostic button. It still seems to produce chlorine but I am having to turn the dial up higher and higher to maintain a good level. DOes it sound like it is time to replace? IS there a test that can be done to be sure?

Thanks,

Greg
    15' x 30', 13.5K Gallons, Pebble Sheen, 2 Deck Jets, Haywood 4820 DE Filter, Haywood Northstar 1.5 HP Pump, Haywood T-Cell-15, Haywood Heat Pump, Haywood Navigator Pool Vac

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Time for new SWG?

Possibly a local pool store has a Hayward cell tester. How old is this cell? Have you cleaned it?

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I've cleaned it. It's about 5 years old so I do think it is about time but would rather be sure before buying a new one. I can try a local pool store to see - wasn't sure if there was a way to test it at home.

Thanks.
    15' x 30', 13.5K Gallons, Pebble Sheen, 2 Deck Jets, Haywood 4820 DE Filter, Haywood Northstar 1.5 HP Pump, Haywood T-Cell-15, Haywood Heat Pump, Haywood Navigator Pool Vac

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I'm guessing at 5 years it could possibly be on its final legs. They do make an extended life cell now. Check out pricing online.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Chemnut View Post
    I'm guessing at 5 years it could possibly be on its final legs. They do make an extended life cell now. Check out pricing online.
    So I just checked it again and the salt reading went from 3000 to 1500. Chlorine reading is at 2. Looks like it might need to be replaced

6. Back To Top    #6

These folks have one for $320.
    Hayward T-Cell15 Salt Cell, Generic Replacement Aquarite 40K w/ Cable Salt Pool | eBay
    The Ebay counter says they have sold 1,003. 30 day money back guarantee and 2 year warranty. Might be worth a try....
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

That's a darn good price. Wow

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I wonder how it lasts compared to an OEM? Funny how some of the reviews say it's a name brand.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

There are lots of horror stories about generic cells, especially from eBay sellers. I would steer clear.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    There are lots of horror stories about generic cells, especially from eBay sellers. I would steer clear.
    In this case, Pool Supply World (15,000 positive responses) is a very reputable vendor.
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

11. Back To Top    #11

You don't have to go through ebay to get that deal, they list it on their store website.

With their full two year replacement warranty it makes it enticing for those who want to spend as little as they can to get the SWG up and running.

The questions would be how do they honor the warranty and how long do these cells last? I have a local authorized Hayward shop near me that I can take a bad cell in, they test it and replace it right then if it is bad.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process