Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time opening a pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

First time opening a pool...

Hi! We got an above ground 18x33 last year. We closed it like we were supposed to and had a cover on it until hurricane Matthew decided we needed to take it off. Now my pool is dark green. Where do I even start? I have a hayward sand filter. We are doing chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time opening a pool...

Hello and welcome to TFP! Green pool? No problem. You need two things:
    - You must have the right test kit. We recommend the TF-100 XL Option (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. If you can swing it, also get the magnetic speed stir for each mixing.
    - While you wait for the kit to arrive, read the SLAM page (link below in my sig) and also the TFP Pool School page. The SLAM page will talk you through the process to remove algae.

Also, please update your signature with your pool info. You can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later.

Until you get the kit and can test on your own, simply add a little bleach to your pool each day. If your pool is around 17K or so like I estimated, 1 gallon of bleach each evening should be fine for now. No need to get too aggressive with the bleach until your test kit arrives. When it does, post a full set of results and we can fine-tune your SLAM process. Hope that helps. Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!