Pool Build - Central FL

Apr 14, 2017
Oviedo, FL
We have decided on a pool contractor and will be starting permit process and HOA approval in the coming days.

Pool details:

13' x 29' rectangular pool with 75sf sunshelf
No pool cage
3' to 6' deep
255 sf existing patio plus 852 sf of new decking - acrylic knockdown
Pentair V.S. Intelliflow Pump 3HP
CC 200 filter
Easy Touch 4 with PC
Intellichlor IC40 salt chlorinator
Bubbler and color led light
3" suction and return lines

Let me know if you have any recommendations. Looking forward to the end result and will be spending a lot of time on this site informing myself.

BassettBlakeKelly.1_001.jpgBassettBlakeKelly.1_002.jpgBassettBlakeKelly.1_003.jpg

FLORIDA IN THE HOUSE!!!!! FUN TIMES AHEAD! Thanks for letting us come along for the ride! I like the design!

The filter-I do not see a kind.....can you give a little more detail of what kind and size please?

We would LOVE to see a pic of where it is going so we can really see what you are dealing with.

3' is very shallow. If you try to do a freestyle swim your knuckles may hit the bottom. Hold a tape measure up to you and see where 3' hits you. I think you need to go at least 3.5' AND make sure that is water depth and not just floor to bottom of the coping.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

No pool cage?:(:confused: I would at least put in the footers for a future pool cage. I know that if we did not have a pool cage we would not utilize our pool because of the bugs, nats, noseeumms, mosquitos and alligators and snakes :grin:etc. We do a lot of afternoon and night time swimming and love our pool cage. :cheers:

Filter is pentair clean and clear 200. 3' is the water depth. No lap
swimming here, just a shallow end for the kids. Pretty sure 3' is pretty standard around here, but I may be mistaken. I will get pictures of back yard this weekend. Thanks for the comments.

- - - Updated - - -

We debated the screen, but really want the pool in the direct sun to extend the swimmming season and make the water warmer. We are having the concrete installed with thickened slab edge so we could install screen later if bugs are an issue. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Signed contract today and moved pool
over to enlarge one side of decking to 12' wide. Also extended pool to 30' in length.

I agree with Brentr on the pool cage. I wasn't to sure on having a cage until I was swing at a friends who didn't have one. The bugs and everything else make for a miserable time swimming. The cage also keeps the cleaning to a minimum.
I've found that the cage does keep the pool cooler and reduces the sun burn potential. I have solar panels so I'm able to heat the pool to extend the swim season.
Currently our pool temperature is 80 degrees using solar.
You'll find out that you pool temperature will typically follow the Gulf water temperature within a few degrees without solar or a heat pump.
I would recommend a cage and solar panels depending on your budget and swim temperature you like. I don't like swimming in water less tha 80, my kids will swim at 76. Of course this is all extra $ that may not be in the budget for now.

We debated the pool cage for a while. Figured we would give it a go without one first, and if we need one we could add it later, probably for less cost buying directly from the screen contractor. I prefer the water on the warmer side as well, so would definitely want solar if we get a screen enclosure.

Here are some other things to consider
Congrats, some suggestions if I may?
1. Speaking from experience. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife
2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad, ours is 19 ft long x 9 ft wide.
5. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
6. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
7. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
8. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
9. Put in footers for future screen cage. Some people do not like the pool cage however we believe in it as we swim a lot at nighttime.
10. Plan on positioning your pool so that you can watch TV comfortably when you are in it. I know that this may sound strange but we love watching TV, football games, NASCAR races and movies when we are relaxing in the pool.
Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics
Please note some of my suggestion include with a pool cage which I think you will add pretty soon:) :cheers:

Lost,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all Non-Caged Florida pool owners... :shark:

I suggest that you get a bigger filter. The bigger the filter, the longer you can go between cleanings.

Equipment wise I have the same basic setup as you, except I have the C&C 520 Cartridge filter.

It gets cleaned twice a year, once before pool season and once after.

You will love your new saltwater pool!!

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.