Help Cloudy Water and Alage since last year.

Apr 14, 2017
Sparta, Tn
I have been reading these forums for a few days and now I need help.
I have bought and tested my water using a K-2006.

Back story last year I went out of town (October) and the house sitter did not do pool upkeep. When I came home it was a swampy mess. It was the first year I had a pool. The pool company had me use flocquant and it never settled. Fast forward to closed the pool like water was normal.
Opened it this week and water was crystal clear with Alage on bottle.
Tried to vaccines to waste and it produced nasty green and cloudy water.

I began shocking with liquid chlorine and switched to bleach last night.
Pool does not seem green at all. A blue cloud..... Can not see below top surface..... (I do not see how to add a picture)

I am a widow, have no clue what to do. Please would appreciate step by step. Pool store has been no help of course. If I need to raise or lower something please explain what products I need.

Filter is a sand filter
24 across pool

Free chlorine 33.75
Combined 0
PH 7.0
Alkalinity 50
Calcium 60
CYA 50
Saturation .9

Welcome to TFP. Don't worry, we'll get you all sorted out and back to having a clear and clean pool.

At a CYA of 50, your shock level is 20. So you can let the chlorine naturally drop down to 20, and then hold it there using Pool Math (link is at the top - ask if you need help with it). Having it at 33 is causing you to use more bleach/liquid chlorine than you need to.

Your CC is 0, which is a good sign, and the pool is blue, albeit cloudy, which means you've likely gotten most of the algae killed off, and all their dead carcasses are clouding up your water.

Now it's time for your filter to do its job! I assume you're following SLAM procedures and running it 24/7. A little bit of patience is required at this stage to allow the filter to work. Keep brushing and keep backwashing that filter every time it rises more than 10-15% above clean pressure (if you don't know the pressure it is when clean, go ahead and backwash and rinse, then record the resulting pressure). How long has the pool been blue but cloudy?

Yes filter is running 24/7
Ummm it was green in places yesterday but you could see through it in places. Added 4 bottles of generic bleach last night and today is blue but cloudy.

Calcium is reading very low.... Do I worry about that now or only after it's clear.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You should be able to add pictures by clicking on the small window icon that is located just above the typing field. It's to the left of the quotation icon. Since you just recently started the SLAM process, please remember that it could take a few days of consistent brushing, testing, and adding bleach. But it will work! Do your best to maintain the SLAM FC level of "20" and follow all the recommendation on the SLAM page. Let us know if you have any other questions. Have a wonderful weekend.

PS ~ If your pool is vinyl lined, then low CH is not a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.