PH not going down

Feb 19, 2017
Tampa
Trying to lower our PH before slamming our pool.

FC = 0
PH = 8.4
TA = 80
CH = 380
CYA 60
Salt = 3750

Kept adding plenty of bleach and the FC would drop to zero later in the day, so I am trying to lower our PH before Slamming with bleach. Problem is we added a gallon of muriatic acid 31% over a day and the pool is still over 8.0. The water is clear as day.

Not sure if we should keep adding MA or look at something else first?

What are the chances of it being much higher than 8.4 originally? Do you run a lot of water features that would cause a higher pH?

I'd make sure you had full strength MA and do another dose.... 78 ounces should get you down to 7.2 from 8.0

Test again after it mixes in and let us know wehre you are, ok??

Yippee :flower:

I'm not familiar with any pH tests that measure 8.4. Most stop at 8.0 or 8.2 and if pH is higher than that it still looks like 8.0 or 8.2. So, pH is likely much higher than 8.0. Also, pH is a logarithmic scale and the farther put you get from 7 the bigger the delta is, i.e. 7.6 to 7.7 is a much smaller jump than 8.3 to 8.4. Add enough acid to lower PH from 8.2 to 7.6, according to PoolMath, let it mix for 15 minutes or so and retest. Continue until pH shows up on the test.

I just looked and He has a new K2006. I don't know if they go to 8.4 or not.

Either way...Go ahead and add another gallon if your are certain of the 8.0 reading and report back.

LOL- We are all posting at the same moments. :lol:

It could be higher. We don't run any extra water features but have been running the new SWG. Using the Taylor k2006 kit. I also had a pool store check it since I was using a lot of drops on the PH test. I will try more MA this afternoon and see if it comes down

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.