Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH not going down

1. Back To Top    #1

PH not going down

Trying to lower our PH before slamming our pool.

FC = 0
    PH = 8.4
    TA = 80
    CH = 380
    CYA 60
    Salt = 3750

Kept adding plenty of bleach and the FC would drop to zero later in the day, so I am trying to lower our PH before Slamming with bleach. Problem is we added a gallon of muriatic acid 31% over a day and the pool is still over 8.0. The water is clear as day.

Not sure if we should keep adding MA or look at something else first?
    40x24 round/kidney shaped, IG 28k gal, Built in 82, 2017 Resurfaced pebble tec. Hayward DE Filter DE2420 1.5hp, Hayward SP0710XR50 Vari-Flo Pool Valve, marathon motor 1.00 HP, 1.50 SF, 1.50 THP, Circupool SJ Series 40,000 and Dolphin nautilus pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH not going down

What are the chances of it being much higher than 8.4 originally? Do you run a lot of water features that would cause a higher pH?

I'd make sure you had full strength MA and do another dose.... 78 ounces should get you down to 7.2 from 8.0

Test again after it mixes in and let us know wehre you are, ok??

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP,

What kit are you using? Your pH may be very high, but please let us know the answer on the kit before proceeding.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not familiar with any pH tests that measure 8.4. Most stop at 8.0 or 8.2 and if pH is higher than that it still looks like 8.0 or 8.2. So, pH is likely much higher than 8.0. Also, pH is a logarithmic scale and the farther put you get from 7 the bigger the delta is, i.e. 7.6 to 7.7 is a much smaller jump than 8.3 to 8.4. Add enough acid to lower PH from 8.2 to 7.6, according to PoolMath, let it mix for 15 minutes or so and retest. Continue until pH shows up on the test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

<"nevermind" yippee says in her best churchlady voice>
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

I just looked and He has a new K2006. I don't know if they go to 8.4 or not.

Either way...Go ahead and add another gallon if your are certain of the 8.0 reading and report back.

LOL- We are all posting at the same moments.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

It could be higher. We don't run any extra water features but have been running the new SWG. Using the Taylor k2006 kit. I also had a pool store check it since I was using a lot of drops on the PH test. I will try more MA this afternoon and see if it comes down
    40x24 round/kidney shaped, IG 28k gal, Built in 82, 2017 Resurfaced pebble tec. Hayward DE Filter DE2420 1.5hp, Hayward SP0710XR50 Vari-Flo Pool Valve, marathon motor 1.00 HP, 1.50 SF, 1.50 THP, Circupool SJ Series 40,000 and Dolphin nautilus pool cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the new 9056 comparator block that reads FC up to 10 and the pH test only goes to 8.0.

This one
    61uT6-08yxL._SY355_.jpg
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

It will come down with enough acid, I promise. Just add a little at a time like this, and check. It will fall.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

Added another gallon and dropped to a PH of 7.4. Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

No worries! Stay on top of that pH - you don't want it to go above 8.0. With an SWG, you'll get even more of a rise over time than non-salt pools.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

12. Back To Top    #12

Excellent Tom, good to hear!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: