Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30
All,

I need some advice, and some information. It is still cool down here. Daytime highs in the mid 80s, nights in the low 70s. Last season I was adding about 60 to 90 oz of bleach for my 15,000 gal. pool each day due to dropping chlorine levels during the hot summer days. This season so far I am adding about 50 to 60 oz per day. Is that normal?

The reason I ask is that in a prior incarnation of this type of forum I came across a post saying that for South Louisiana, with our sun and heat, the recommendation was to keep CYA levels around 80 to keep chlorine stable and in the pool. To me this doesn't make much sense, as I understand the chemistry it would be an every increasing cycle. I am hoping someone with more chemistry knowledge than me can set me straight!

Some of us in hotter zones run higher Cya, but I suggest starting out in the 40-50 range for you. Higher Cya is usually recommended for salt pools here, mostly to save wear and tear on the Chlorine generator. Your loss now isn't surprising and it will increase with summer temps and sunny days.

Start out there, and you can always add more to see about reducing your loss to sunlight. Do that, and you'll be good to go.

Probably too high on the CyA if you're not using a SWG and even then on the high side. What is your CyA now? If it is above 60 (should be even less) you need to consider a partial drain and fill. Please report

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CyA
Temp

I may be wrong. I have been before.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My CYA is at 40 right now. I will leave it there. Good to know that the levels of bleach are correct and that I am in the right range. Thanks y'all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.