Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA levels South Louisiana

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA levels South Louisiana

All,

I need some advice, and some information. It is still cool down here. Daytime highs in the mid 80s, nights in the low 70s. Last season I was adding about 60 to 90 oz of bleach for my 15,000 gal. pool each day due to dropping chlorine levels during the hot summer days. This season so far I am adding about 50 to 60 oz per day. Is that normal?

The reason I ask is that in a prior incarnation of this type of forum I came across a post saying that for South Louisiana, with our sun and heat, the recommendation was to keep CYA levels around 80 to keep chlorine stable and in the pool. To me this doesn't make much sense, as I understand the chemistry it would be an every increasing cycle. I am hoping someone with more chemistry knowledge than me can set me straight!
    Louise S.
    15,000 gal, 24 round, AG pool, waterway FC 125 cartridge filter, waterway /millennium 2 HP, 2 speed pump, model SD-20-2N11MD. Water is well water ph 8.4, TA 270, CH 20, no metals, lots of tannins

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA levels South Louisiana

Some of us in hotter zones run higher Cya, but I suggest starting out in the 40-50 range for you. Higher Cya is usually recommended for salt pools here, mostly to save wear and tear on the Chlorine generator. Your loss now isn't surprising and it will increase with summer temps and sunny days.

Start out there, and you can always add more to see about reducing your loss to sunlight. Do that, and you'll be good to go.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Probably too high on the CyA if you're not using a SWG and even then on the high side. What is your CyA now? If it is above 60 (should be even less) you need to consider a partial drain and fill. Please report

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CyA
    Temp

I may be wrong. I have been before.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In answer to your question, CYA is added when using solid forms of chlorine. As long as you use only liquid chlorine or bleach, you won't continue to increase the CYA level.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm also in S. LA (St Francisville). I have to add a full gallon to my 35K gallon pool in the hot summer. Right now I'm adding between a half gallon to a gallon per day already. My CYA is 50.

30k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair Tagelus TA 60D sand

6. Back To Top    #6

My CYA is at 40 right now. I will leave it there. Good to know that the levels of bleach are correct and that I am in the right range. Thanks y'all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I think 40 is a good number right now and 50 is better in the sweltering heat. Definitely want a lower number if needing to SLAM. I'd try not to go over 60 if you can help it.

30k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair Tagelus TA 60D sand

8. Back To Top    #8

I can do that. Makes sense! Thanks for your input!