Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up Intex 20' x 30"

1. Back To Top    #1

Setting up Intex 20' x 30"

Just finished setting up/fill the new pool tonight. I will be adding chemicals tomorrow after an initial test. Definitely going to be upgrading the pump, but want to get up and running first. I have twin 5 year old girls who are VERY excited about this.

Does anyone have one of these types of pools running all year round? I live in Florida and plan to keep this pool up all year round, wondering if anyone has any success in doing this.

Pool: Intex Above Ground Metal Frame 12' x 30"
    Pool Volume: 1700 Gallons
    Pump: Krystal Clear 2500 GPH Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Setting up Intex 20' x 30"

Hi! I bet they are SO ready to jump in no matter how burrrrrrrr the water is! What fun!

If you are going to keep it up year round you will need to put something up around it to keep the grass from growing to and under it and to keep rain from washing the sand out from under it.

Do you have something under the pool legs?

You can keep it up year round but the leaves and stuff are going to drive you mad in the fall! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There is a ring around the area where the sand is as we had to rip out the grass in order to level the ground and such, and then the sand is in there. So I can keep that clear of the grass. Not sure what you mean by "Do you have something under the pool legs?"

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Are the legs on the ground, or are they on patio blocks/pavers? The weight of the pool my pull the legs into the ground over time, so it's recommended to put a 2" thick patio block under each leg.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Are the legs on the ground, or are they on patio blocks/pavers? The weight of the pool my pull the legs into the ground over time, so it's recommended to put a 2" thick patio block under each leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh ok. I I'll pick those up today. Hopefully now that the pool is full I will be able to get them under them...

6. Back To Top    #6

If your grass is anything like mine it will start growing and get under and through the sand. You do NOT want to use a weed eater right by the pool you might cut it.

I would use something like this:

Shop EasyFlex 20-ft Black Poly Landscape Edging Roll at Lowes.com

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

There is over a foot clear around the pool before the edge of the grass. I did that on purpose. But will purchase the plastic ring and the stones at Lowe's.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dorgan View Post
    Oh ok. I I'll pick those up today. Hopefully now that the pool is full I will be able to get them under them...
    I doubt you will be able to do this now, the blocks need to be flush with the ground/sand. I don't know how you would lift the legs.... water weighs 8.36 pounds per gallon.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Anyone used the Clorox pool app in the past. Before knowing about this site and the proper test kit I purchased their test strips and that's what I have been using until I can get a proper test kit. So far after its dosing recommendations today I have the following results:

It had me add 1 tbsp of phUp today so I have done that and I am letting the pump run.

My question is it possible to get the levels better than this while using their test strips/app?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

It's impossible to have a FC of 1ppm, and a TC of zero. TC is the sum of FC + CC (FC+CC=TC).

That app does not follow TFP guidelines.

Dom - TFP Guide

11. Back To Top    #11

I also upgraded the pump and switch to sand filter. You can also add the SWG if interested.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Tivo View Post
    I also upgraded the pump and switch to sand filter. You can also add the SWG if interested.

Felipe
    Yeah upgrading to this pump is on my list:
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 2800 GPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSPHS1U..._O5M8ybFKKK146

Probably also going to add a skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

What would you say are the numbers on these?

14. Back To Top    #14

You need to read the test with a white background(sheet of paper), but i will give it a go:
    C 1
    PH 7.2

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

15. Back To Top    #15

Ahh ok good to know. I'll try it again with a white background. That will probably help

16. Back To Top    #16

Yeah much easier to read

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

pH - 7.4 - 7.5 Very good!

FC - 0 - VERY BAD!

Get some chlorine in your pool pronto!

Why do you think your pH has increased? How long between tests?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

Well, we've managed to go through the first pump. Probably not that hard to do as my 75 gallon reef tank has a stronger pump on it. So instead of dealing with warranty and such I've instead purchased the Intex 2500gph pump and the 1.25" to 1.5" hose adapters. Now I'll be able to vacuum without having to put water in the pool! I decided not to go with the sand filter as I only expect to have this pool up for two years until we start the in ground build.

Are the any other upgrade anyone would recommend on this pool?

19. Back To Top    #19

Happy people! That is all that is needed at this point!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

So the new pump came today and the adapters are coming tomorrow. Although thy may be the wrong size as most of the reading I have done says I need to buy 1.25" to 1.5" adapters and it looks like the hoses for the new pump are 2" on the opening alone.

Also the new return head is massive compared the one on the pool. Should I be cutting out the nipples for the old return head and be putting the new head on this pool? It's a 2500gph pump, did I go too big?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast