Pollen wont go away...

May 14, 2009
Tennessee
I thought for a while that i might have yellow algae growing in the pool....however after running my numbers....checking for FC loss (not losing overnight) i have come to the conclusion that it is pollen....i havent had it like this before and was wondering how long it takes to finally get rid of it....i am vacuuming three times a day....cleaning filters....and when i come back a few hours later...there it is again. does anyone have any suggestions?????

:rant:

I have one tree in my yard. One. I CANNOT BELIEVE how much pollen there is this year - like never before in my pool. I cleaned my cart today - it was a mess and covered in pollen. Hopefully the season is almost over. Using skimmer socks?

well at least its not just me (unfortunately)...i have three giant oak trees and of course there is a lot of fields being mowed (or whatever it is they do to them)....i guess ill just keep vacuuming and cleaning the filters until it passes. i am using a skimmer sock too....glad that i finally got one.... :-D

We don't have any big trees - and only one near the pool, which is only a couple years old. But we get tons of pollen anyway. Leaving our solar cover on catches it now (although it's getting too hot to keep the cover on). We also started using the skimmer socks last season and they're great! And when I remove the cover, I use our robotic, which has a fine bag that filters down to 2 microns. Believe me, that bag catches it all and leaves our pool clean...except for the small areas it misses :roll: When we were using a suction-side cleaner, as well manually cleaning the pool, the water went through the skimmer, the filter and right back into the pool and sure enough, every morning, the stuff would be right back on the pool floor.

So I would suggest a cover and/or cleaner with a good bag that filters down to 2 microns, and skimmer socks - because that pollen is sooooooooo hard to trap!

And if it's not pollen, it's tree bracts. Or agricultural dust. Or just plain dirt in the air.

Let's face it: a large surface of water will always collect all manner of contaminants. Some of it floats and can be caught in socks or the PoolSkim but much of it sinks and gathers in dips on the bottom of our pools. It's a fact of pool ownership.

I've learned that a happy pool is one which is used. I open the pool gate and let the dogs in. They stir up the dust on the bottom like not even brushing can. Two hours of pump time and most of the crud is gone.

Until tomorrow, when a new load has been dumped by the trees and the dirty air gremlins.

I'll have to check their schedules. This is a busy season for them as you can imagine. And when they're not out cleaning pools they're on critter patrol ridding properties of rabbits and groundhogs. :)

In all seriousness, three German Shepherds can create enough turbulence to stir up whatever might hang out on the bottom. They do leave behind a lot of hair but the PoolSkim catches most of that and what hair might sink clumps up nicely and gets scooped up with the leaf net the next morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hahahahahaha.....i should have my dog jump in to stir it up.....i vacuumed yesterday afternoon and then my kids and i went crazy in the pool to keep it stirred up.....this morning it was clear as can be! :-D i drove around some of the back roads near my home and i have found that they are really cutting the fields down right now and that must be what it is.....my numbers are holding steady and everything is great!!

Good for you!

In some parts, those where it's dry, it's haying season and that puts a whole lot of dust in the air.

I made a lure from 1/2 of a fishing rod (my good Eagle Claw, no less!) that I tie a toy to. Dog jumps in pool, I walk around the outside perimeter with the lure, dog tries to get it. Thusly I can get them to swim very close to the pool walls where all the crud collects on the bottom. They dive in off the deck as well which is my version of 'aeration', whether the pool needs it or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.