Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help me!

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help me!

I went out and got diatomaceous earth from home depot. Didn't know there were 3 different grades until after I put in and some one on this forum told me pool grade after I already put in. I'm sorry I'm starting a new thread if I shouldn't be but now my husband is a little upset with me and I'm scared it could harm us. So I'm looking for what to do now. Was so excited about getting a pool and now I'm regretting it. Seems like I keep messing everything up. I'm shaking inside
    Denise-19000 Gal AG,2 speed filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help me!

Just clean the filter.. its not a big deal. Go to the pool store and get some new D.E?

Food grade D.E. just doesnt have the same amount of surface area, so it isn't ideal. its great for killing insects tho!

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure we arent gonna be poisoned or ingest it because it was the kind that kills bugs it's called safer. I'm feel sick right now and cannot stop shaking. We were gonna get in tomorrow for the first time

4. Back To Top    #4

You are fine. Just remove it so it doesn't clump up then put the right stuff in. Unless you have an insects exoskeleton you'll be fine. Stop shaking and start swimming!
    7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

The product is not toxic. You should not have any problems. Just clean the filter and add the correct de.

Contact the manufacturer to confirm.

This product is 100% diatomaceous earth (Amorphous Silicon Dioxide), which is composed of crushed fossilized algae that comes from freshwater sources.

Please call our Consumer Relations Team at 1-855-7-ORGANIC (1-855-767-4264) with additional questions.
    Contact Us
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so much when you say clean the filter do you mean to backwash or replace all the sand and if I backwash how long do I backwash to get it cleaned. I'm sorry for all the crazy questions.

7. Back To Top    #7

It is my understanding it is DE dust that is not good for the lungs. The concern with using the wrong DE is related to your pool not your health. All the stuff we put in the pool is hazardous by itself - diluted in 10,000+ gallons of water, not so bad

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I would just back wash for a minute. The first thing to wash out will be the DE

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have a sand filter, just backwash.

Check with the manufacturer to make sure that the product doesn't contain any ingredients that you need to be concerned about.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

You guys are awesome! Thanks for answering so quickly as I was freaking out! I'm gonna only add bleach till my test kit comes in. If I have cloudy water oh well. I'll post my test results when I get them. Again thank you so much for the quick responses! So glad I found this forum.