Can you use an inground pool pump/sand filter on AGP?

Apr 4, 2017
Saraland, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Newbie here, obviously. We bought our house about 6 months ago. The previous owners buried the inground pool that was here about 3 months before we bought the house. (Sucks!!) They said it could be restored easily and we may do that eventually, but for now, we went out and bought an Intex 20'x48" above ground pool today. We will be ordering an intex saltwater system to run with it as well.

Question is, can we use the pump/filter (a Hayward S244T with a 1hp motor-not sure what brand due to faded label) from the inground pool? Our Intex AGP is 8600ish gallons and I'm just afraid it will be too big/powerful, and that we should just get a smaller Intex sand filter... but I don't know much about it so I'm asking you guys.

Any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

We definitely want to add a skimmer as well, and have already watched several YouTube video tutorials.
I've been lurking on here and reading all the posts for about a month, starting with when we *thought* we were going to dig up the IGP and restore it, but then decided to wait until next year when we had a better understanding of what we were getting ourselves into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I confess, I did find the previous owners on Facebook and looked through their photos to see pictures of the pool. It broke my heart to know we are basically walking around on top of it.

They busted up the concrete around the edges, as well as the coping. Wood frame is still there and looks fine from what we dug up. Definitely would need a new liner and coping. No telling what else. That's why we decided to wait a year or so, to build up some savings to go towards anything that might surprise us once it's dug up.

A buried treasure in the yard. Not sure I could resist starting on that dig.

Me neither! Why on earth would someone bury a pool!?

The only one that ever made sense to me was one at a 1950's hotel on Catalina Island because they have a very, very limited water supply and the beach is right across the street. I'm sure it was very expensive to keep that pool filled. If it were my hotel I'd see about going with a small Osmosis system and bring up 50 gallon barrels of water from the bay each day to fill it, though..

Okay. We've decided to go for it and try to hook up the Hayward to our AGP. So now my question is, how do I know if the sand needs changing? The guy we bought the house from had purchased it in 2013( from foreclosure auction, so the pool had been severely neglected) so I'm nearly positive he would've had to replace the sand. The pump actually looks fairly new, from what friends with pools said, so maybe he bought a new pump and put sand in it. How do I know if I should change it?

A buried treasure in the yard. Not sure I could resist starting on that dig.

We really, REALLY want to dig it up. But we were told by a pool guy that it would be cheaper to just do a new build in a different spot of the yard than to try to dig and and restore the existing pool.
Makes me sad. This is what it looked like. (Pic belongs to previous owners.)
e1f5f1ef3e4d0492ec01bb5f727ec9b1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.