Intex ABG Pump ?

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
I just found this awesome site, so haven't had a chance to buy the testing kit yet, but I do have a question about the pump. I currently have the pump that came with my 18 x 48 Easy Set pool. I am at the tailend of getting rid of an algae problem (I hope), the person at the PS said I really needed a bigger pump, and after reading some of these posts, I tend to agree with her on that one. We do have a SWG system, so my question is what size do you think I should get and one that works with my Intex SW...any help would be appreciated as I am ready to buy today or tomorrow if I get an answer back here soon. According to the manual, it is 5500 gallons, if that helps. Thank you!

Intex Easy Set 18 x 48
Krystal Klear Model 365 Filter Pump
Krystal Klear Deluxe SWG

Thank you for responding so quickly,..as I just found this site, I have not yet purchased the pool test kit, I usually take it to the store, but I am going to get one. All I have are the rinky dink test strips as this time... forgot to say how I had been treating it, of course with pool chemicals that they told me I needed. Leslies Yellow out, shock, brush, 3 days in a row, have done that 3 times in the last 3 weeks. 9 oz. of Algae control and shock, brush. Ultra-bright to clear up milk look, but hasn't helped. Pump has been running non-stop for weeks, I will say it is getting better, I still see a little algae at the bottom and keep brushing it a couple of times a day. I can not see the bottom of the pool or the stairs...I don't know if you can help me without the test results though...

Well, before you spend money upgrading the pump, let's see if there is an easier solution - so as soon as you can post some test results we can help with that. Maybe the pool store can test for you?

What have you been using to kill the algae?

Okay, even without test results...if you still see algae then your chlorine levels aren't high enough to kill it...and that has nothing to do with your filter. :wink: It's probably a case where the algae is consuming the chlorine as you add it and you aren't getting ahead of it, know what I mean? Algae Control is more of a preventative - not real effective at killing it once it is present. High (shock levels) of chlorine are what will kill it.

So I would suggest you figure out a way to get a better test kit, in the meantime have them test the water for you (don't buy anything from them) and then read :

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

After you post your test results, we can advise you better.
We need:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

How do you feel about draining and starting over? That is an option worth considering, entirely up to you.

Ok...I will get it tested at the store and let you know. I did add more salt to the pool about a week ago and then the SWG told me it was too much, so I drained it down about 6" and filled it back up and it was ok. I will let you know my test results asap...thanks for the info already though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.