Swg running, does this look ok?

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
I am in the process of getting my water into balance over a two or three-day period, while at the same time trying to get it clean with some very frustrating challenges in the area of vacuuming, which I intend to figure out this weekend...

Today is first day that I've had the opportunity to test my free chlorine after running the swg on schedule... when I read my numbers tonight my free chlorine was at 4 so I got everything situated and started my swg and pulled a small sample of water from where it was coming back into the pool and tested it and it shows as a 6 so if I understand correctly how this all works that means that my output is 2 PPM? If that is correct then all I need to do at this point is dialing how many hours I need to let it run to keep my free chlorine at around 5... I should have all of my numbers into balance by the end of the weekend if everything goes as planned...

These numbers make sense to me and seem logical but if somebody much smarter than me in this area sees anything I should be concerned about in this please let me know otherwise I'm just going to keep going with it!

T,

The amount of FC you get out of the return tells you that your SWCG is working, but it is not a good indication of the exact amount of chlorine your SWCG is making.

You really need to make several tests at the same time each day and record what you find. If you consistently see your FC going up, then you know you are making more chlorine than your pool is using.

If you find the FC going down, then you know you are not making enough chlorine to keep up with what the pool is using.

To add to the confusion, the pool will use different amounts each day because of the sun, bather loads, etc.

This is not a one time adjustment. You will find as the days get longer you will have to increase your SWCG's output and then in the fall you will have to start decreasing the output.

It is an ongoing process..

Jim R.

Believe it or not I actually follow that completely! Mainly I'm just trying to get a feel for things as I start getting my numbers dialed in... I have absolutely zero experience with an swg and only one summer of tfp under my belt so I'm still somewhat of a beginner... I feel pretty confident and most of what I'm doing with my pool that like to get some reassurance that something that should be alarming isn't being missed, but I'm not quite confident enough yet to try to help others but I'm working on it...

What make/model is your Chlorine generator? This can give you basic info on how much it's capable of producing (given your pump run time). There are other water chemistry checks to do other than just FC to ensure your SWCG is "set up to operate effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See signature for info on make and model... I have been steady trying to get the water and the pool clean while being crippled by non-working vacuums... I kept my free chlorine up with liquid chlorine while i got my cya and salt adjusted, over the next few days I will start adjusting all of my other numbers and hopefully by the end of the weekend be totally in balance

My logic is to run my pump long enough to keep the pool free of debris. So if you think that is 6 hours, set it, set the SWG to 50% and check the FC around the same time tomorrow. Then adjust the % based on the new reading. Obviously, if you are running the SWG at 80% plus, you should probably consider running pump longer to give you some flexibility

Unfortunately for me, your sig does not show up on each post so I did not look to see what type of SWG you have...so my bad. I would run it from 8-5, measure FC when I got home, and if it is below 4 know I need to run it longer. Something similar to that would be my suggestion.

Your sig on Tapatalk app does not show up on each post...just to clarify that comment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not completely correct as your pool has a loss of 2-4 so if you tested 6 then your SWG is producing between 3-4 or maybe more if your loss is higher!

Tje pool itself tested at 4, what tested as 6 was what was coming directly out of the swg... it was going into the swg as four coming out the other side as a six... over the last few days as it has generated chlorine, and all mixed together my fc has leveled out at 5.5 right now. I will keep an eye on things... it will take some time to dial in how much i need to run swg to keep fc fairly steady based on daily temps and swimmer load

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.