Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I am burning through the chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

I am burning through the chlorine

I put roughly a half gallon in a day. It is not in use, is that normal?

FC 3
    CC 0
    CYA 30
    TA 120
    PH between 7.8 and 8

Seeing grey dusty looking sediment on the bottom. We have been running the vacuum, almost every day, rained 2 inches yesterday. No swimmers yet pool is up to 75 degrees.
    Still clear.

Not using chlorine tablets, just liquid 10%.
    Filter is cleaned almost daily as well.
    I have a 24ft round pool. 52in deep. 14k gallons. It has a sand filter. It is a chlorine pool that we got March, 2016. Above ground!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I am burning through the chlorine

You don't have a baseline so how can you say you're burning through chlorine?

With a CyA of 30, a FC of 3 looks about right.

I could be wrong. I have been before.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

A half gallon of bleach in a 7000 gallon pool is a lot, not so in a 30000 gallon one.

It's best to look at how many ppm of FC you are adding daily (chlorine demand). 2-4ppm a day is normal. If you are not using the pool, but it is in the sun all day, 2-3ppm would be about right.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I like a CYA around 45ppm and raise my CL-to around 6-7ppm. It works for me but I live in IL.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

5. Back To Top    #5

I didn't see it was being added every day but rather just that it was added hence my confusion on a base line.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the input.
    I have a 24ft round pool. 52in deep. 14k gallons. It has a sand filter. It is a chlorine pool that we got March, 2016. Above ground!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

So, how many ppm of FC are you adding each day?

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Remember that when it comes to sand filters, a slightly dirty one works better. You should not be back washing daily unless your filter pressure is rising 20-25% daily too.

Yippee

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cliptx View Post
    I put roughly a half gallon in a day. It is not in use, is that normal?
    In your sized pool, 18 ounces of 10% LC will raise your FC by 1ppm. So you're only adding at most 3.5ppm daily. Sun UV can easily burn that much up daily too.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard