Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SD80 Filter Cracked

1. Back To Top    #1

SD80 Filter Cracked

Our pool is roughly 4 years old, I believe this will be the fifth season (second owners). Being in middle Georgia,meet don't close our pool for the winter, we just add liquid chlorine as needed when the water gets too cold for the SWG. Noticed during the winter that our Sand Dollar SD80 filter has developed small holes along one of the two seams. Pressure hasn't been an issue, I backwash and rinse at least once a week, more if the pressure rises. Deep cleaned the filter last spring.

Here's my question: has anyone else had this happen? Possible causes? Is there any way to fix or do we just need to but the bullet and get a new filter?

28,000 gal IG vinyl, sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, SWG (Intellichlor), booster pump for Polaris, Well water fill, Pentair control panel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SD80 Filter Cracked

Pictures of the holes would help if they are visible. I would find it odd that after only 4 seasons there would be a structural problem with the filter housing (I'm assuming the holes are on the outer housing).
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll see if I can get some. They're not very big but are big enough to create a spray when the pump is running. It may be easier to get a pic of the spray than the actual holes. They are in the seam of the outer shell of the filter.

28,000 gal IG vinyl, sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, SWG (Intellichlor), booster pump for Polaris, Well water fill, Pentair control panel

4. Back To Top    #4

If water is spraying from the filter housing, you need to replace. I'd be a bit upset if my filter housing failed after that little time. It's a very basic part of the filter and needs to withstand pressure. Looks like Pentair filters only have a one year warranty, but I'd call and tell them about your issue and/or send them images of the failure with complaints.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Izzyc123 View Post
    I'll see if I can get some. They're not very big but are big enough to create a spray when the pump is running. It may be easier to get a pic of the spray than the actual holes. They are in the seam of the outer shell of the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The fact the failure appears to be on the seam indicates a manufacturing defect. I agree with JV you should contact contact the manufacturer. Since your leak is on the seam they may well replace the case for you at least. 4 years is way shorter than any filter I've heard of.

I hope this helps.

Chris
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control