Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which Salt brand to use

1. Back To Top    #1

Which Salt brand to use

Hello all. I had my pool replastered about 4 weeks ago so it's time to add the salt and startup the salt water chlorination. I'm looking for suggestions to salt brands to use as I'm not to fond of what my local pool store sells? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which Salt brand to use

Cheapest pure salt you can find. Usually water softener salt in 40lb bags without additives like iron out. Should say 99% pure. Walmart, lowes, Home Depot, etc all carry it
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

3. Back To Top    #3

Most folks here buy solar salt from the hardware store; the kind you use in a water softener. You can "pool salt" from the pool store but it's not any better and its typically more expensive.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I found this one at my local Lowes. Recommended? Morton 40-lb Salt Solar Crystals

5. Back To Top    #5

Sure, that is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Good day all. Is it recommended to dilute the salt into a bucket first and then pour into pull or just spread each bag of salt around pool? I'm calculating around 8 bags for 12k gallons pool. Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Nope. Just dump it in and brush it around. Try not to let it sit in one spot for extended periods of time. Having kids in the pool to splash and play helps with mixing.

It can take anywhere from 24-48hours for salt to properly mix and homogenize, so don't turn on any SWGs for a few days or else you'll get lots of LOW and HIGH salt errors.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Hello all. I went to lowes and Walmart and I found the solar salt, but it's crystal type not granulated salt. Can I use these and will they dissolve as fast as the granulated pool salt? Let me know. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

All I ever use in my pool is solar salt from Lowe's.

It may not dissolve as fast but that really doesn't matter. It might take 30 minutes instead of 10 minutes. But actually my kids like to play with the salt while it's dissolving.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

When you say Lowes, does lowes have their own brand or are you referring to the Morton Solar salt they sell as that is what I'm finding locally.

11. Back To Top    #11

Morton
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow..who knew salt could be so complex!
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Not complex just trying to do it right. I did before the pool store salt and it made us all itch even with all perfectly balanced. Trying to avoid it this time. Thanks again for all info.