DE filter blues

May 19, 2014
pennsylvania
Green pool with a de filter. I'd like to get the water circulating to add chlorine etc and vacuum out dead algae with the aqua bot. Problem is the de filter fingers get clogged so fast the water quits circulating. It's a pain to constantly remove those bolts and washers on the Hayward. Can these filters be ran without the fingers for circulating purposes or is it a constant cleaning battle until algae is gone?

I need to update my profile, I moved last year and no longer own a pool, however, I'm sort of in charge of maintaining my sisters pool (major pia) and they are the worst at doing anything for it, never check it etc. So basically I need to shock and get rid of algae etc but I can't be there to babysit the filter at all hours of the day and unfortunately it's too great a task for them to hose off the de fingers every two hours when they clog up

Ok, that explains it.

Does the filter allow for backwashing or is it one of those "bump" style filters? If you can't backwash, then what I would suggest you do when trying to clear an algae swamp is to use about half to three-fourths of the required amount of DE when recharging. This will still give you some filtration but it may not plug up as fast.

It's a bump style but also has the bottom drain valve for back washing I assume, drains the tank. The thing plugs so fast then the pump struggles to pull water and heats up so while the pool is green it's a constant battle. My old cartridge filter was much easier to disassemble with those screw on clamps. This Hayward de requires bolts and nuts and I think that task is too daunting for them lol. Eventually some effort may be required on their part or else the pool company can take over for them $$$

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.