LaMotte kit feedback request

Yes, it is. It is very comparable to the two kits most used here in the US (K-2006C and TFTestkits TF-100)

It is one of the few kits that contains the FAS/DPD chlorine testing which sets it apart. It's a good kit.

I think I'm right in saying that this kit below is better because it uses a drop test for the CYA, as opposed to the disappearing dot test of the previous kit, above?

ColorQ PRO 7 - 2056 - Pool and Spa - LaMotte

Ok, just put this kit into your search engine. It seems the ColorQ is not recommended.

I have the ColorQ 11 and the cya drop test is relatively accurate and consistent also along with the PH test the rest of the tests not so much in my experience, that's why I bought the TF-100.

Salty

Thanks, Salty. I wish the TF100 was available in UK. I'll have to settle for the first LaMotte kit, the 7022.

I've had the 7022-01 kit for 2 years and it's pretty good but I would have preferred a non black dot CYA test as it’s not easy to get an accurate reading when your CYA is over 60. Once you get your CYA in the 30-50 range (where it should be) it's not so much of an issue. I used to get wildly different results with the same water sample but I’ve discovered it’s best to let the sample sit with the pill dissolved for a good 10 minutes before taking a reading. I had a problem with the cap that the tube slides up and down in splitting and I even managed to crack the tube taking the other lid off but these were all replaced by the supplier.

If there is one serious black mark with this test kit it is the amount of DPD powder you get for testing the chlorine. The website mentions that there are enough reagents to do 100 tests for this, that and the other but they failed to mention how many tests the DPD powder will do. This is odd because it is the only test where you can be absolutely sure how much reagent/powder you will use (one level scoop per test). All the other tests will use varying amounts of liquid so they can only guess at how much you will use. I had a few emails back and forth with the supplier about this and I even did a test and counted out the number of level scoops from a new pot and it came to 43. In light of this they contacted LaMotte and I’ve been told they have revised their information to say “approximately 50 tests”. (The pot could contain enough powder to do 250 tests so they are just being extremely stingy).

I’m in Spain and searched here for suppliers but bizarrely found it cheaper to buy from the UK and have it shipped over (same with replacement reagents). The supplier is Sword Scientific Ltd (Welcome to Sword Scientific) and I originally dealt with a guy called Tim and more recently Charlotte and I have to say, the service from these two has been excellent. They replaced anything I needed without hesitation and even threw in a pot or two of DPD powder for my troubles.

PS, the kit isn’t cheap but they are open to negotiation.

This is good info, Deslato. The only 7220 I can find is £167, but not from Tim Schofield, so perhaps I should wait for his price. Other than that, I may just get the Taylor K2006C from poolvacparts in US, especially as they do the Speedstir which again, seems unavailable in UK.

Recently I've emailed Tim for reagents and Charlotte has replied so it might be worth trying her (Charlotte Whitehead
[email protected])

I paid quite a bit less than £167 but that was two years ago but it shouldn't have gone up that much. Having never used a Speedstir I can't comment on how useful they are but I've managed just fine with a slight wiggle of the wrist this far so.....

I just checked and whilst LaMotte do have several test kits, there isn't a 7220 so I'm going to assume that was a typo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I'm right in saying that this kit below is better because it uses a drop test for the CYA, as opposed to the disappearing dot test of the previous kit, above?

ColorQ PRO 7 - 2056 - Pool and Spa - LaMotte

Ok, just put this kit into your search engine. It seems the ColorQ is not recommended.
Correct, not really recomended. You can't confuse the specificity of the results the ColorQ gives with accuracy. We have had members attempt to use the ColorQ to follow our methods and almost all have abandoned its use due to inaccuracies and inconsistencies. We even had one member test the same sample of water three times in a row and ended up with three different sets of results. Here is an example of a ColorQ post: ColorQ vs TF100 and here is a review where the Color Q was used alongside a TF-100. Test Kit Comparison

Just ordered the Taylor kit + Speedstir and additional tube from poolvacparts. I'll update total costs when I've paid UK duty and tax.
I'm really looking forward to making the most of the hydro pool for my son. Thanks to all who contributed to allow me to make an informed decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.