Another TF-100 first test post

Mar 17, 2017
League City, TX
I've been using a cheap-o basic test kit and strips to try to keep our pool in range since we moved into our house in December. The water's always been clear, with minor algae issues before I installed the SWG, but the basic tests never agree with the strips which never agree with what the pool store tests show. I also have a serious problem reading the colors on the basic test kit, they all look pretty much the same to me. I've had a suspicion that something wasn't right for a while but resisted buying a TF-100 kit. I finally bought it plus the speed-stir since I suspected I'd lose my mind trying to swirl and drop at the same time; asking me to drop, wipe, and swirl was an invitation to disaster.

Wow. I love this test kit. It's pretty much in-your-face as to what the readings are. Even the basic kit is much easier for me to read with the windows surrounded by black. I actually read the PH without any trouble. The speedstir is awesome and the light on it was much, much more useful than I thought it'd be. Nice job to whoever put this kit together!

So for the first (real) test results I got this afternoon (SWG):

TC - 5.0? (see CC)
FC - 4.5
CC - 0.5? (only one drop to change color)
PH - >=8.2
TA - 140
CH - 275
CYA - 35

Decided to tackle PH & TA with the "add acid, aerate, repeat" method to targets of 7.6 and 70, and to add some CYA via a sock. After a few hours:

PH - 7.2
TA - 100

I'll check CYA after it's dissolved and add more as necessary, used about 50% of suggested from PoolMath, targeting 80.

After I get those three at target I'll see if I can track down some calcium chloride and bring up the hardness to ~400.

It's really nice to actually know what's going on in the pool instead of trying to hit a moving target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.