Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another TF-100 first test post

1. Back To Top    #1

Another TF-100 first test post

I've been using a cheap-o basic test kit and strips to try to keep our pool in range since we moved into our house in December. The water's always been clear, with minor algae issues before I installed the SWG, but the basic tests never agree with the strips which never agree with what the pool store tests show. I also have a serious problem reading the colors on the basic test kit, they all look pretty much the same to me. I've had a suspicion that something wasn't right for a while but resisted buying a TF-100 kit. I finally bought it plus the speed-stir since I suspected I'd lose my mind trying to swirl and drop at the same time; asking me to drop, wipe, and swirl was an invitation to disaster.

Wow. I love this test kit. It's pretty much in-your-face as to what the readings are. Even the basic kit is much easier for me to read with the windows surrounded by black. I actually read the PH without any trouble. The speedstir is awesome and the light on it was much, much more useful than I thought it'd be. Nice job to whoever put this kit together!

So for the first (real) test results I got this afternoon (SWG):

TC - 5.0? (see CC)
    FC - 4.5
    CC - 0.5? (only one drop to change color)
    PH - >=8.2
    TA - 140
    CH - 275
    CYA - 35

Decided to tackle PH & TA with the "add acid, aerate, repeat" method to targets of 7.6 and 70, and to add some CYA via a sock. After a few hours:

PH - 7.2
    TA - 100

I'll check CYA after it's dissolved and add more as necessary, used about 50% of suggested from PoolMath, targeting 80.

After I get those three at target I'll see if I can track down some calcium chloride and bring up the hardness to ~400.

It's really nice to actually know what's going on in the pool instead of trying to hit a moving target.
    Chris

17k IG plaster, Pentair FNS DE, Aquarite 40k SWG, & Polaris 380 (AKA "Jacques") using city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another TF-100 first test post

Awesome job! Looks like you have a good grasp on your pool. If you haven't seen this yet, make sure you read it. Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs You should shoot for 350 on CH when you adjust it.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    Sounds like you have pretty good working plan. If I tested my water again tomorrow and measured some CC, I might be inclined to do an OCLT for my sanity sake.

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Oops.
    Last edited by Sammy2; 04-13-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Nevermind

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do not add CH. 250-400 as suggested and it will tend to rise on it's own.

What does your water look like?

CC's of .5 ppm is treated as if it was zero.....ignore it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

chrispete,

Thank you for the nice words about the TF-100. Developing it was a joy and it has withstood the test of time.....9th year, I think.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Do not add CH. 250-400 as suggested and it will tend to rise on it's own.

What does your water look like?

CC's of .5 ppm is treated as if it was zero.....ignore it.
    I'll hold off on CH. Water is crystal clear. Tested today and got a true zero CC, 6 TC, PH already up to 7.5.

Chris

17k IG plaster, Pentair FNS DE, Aquarite 40k SWG, & Polaris 380 (AKA "Jacques") using city water

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    chrispete,

Thank you for the nice words about the TF-100. Developing it was a joy and it has withstood the test of time.....9th year, I think.

Chris