Trouble with sand returning to pool

Apr 12, 2017
Bennington
I have an 18' x 48" pool with Hayward S180T Sand filter. I seem to always have trouble with sand returning to pool. I just hooked everything up this year including new valve, put in new sand and am getting sand in the return jet. I have replaced the laterals several times, most recent was 2 years ago.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an alternative to the type of finger lateral for the sand filter?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Hello Steve and welcome to TFP! :wave: By any chance you can you confirm the sand used was "#20 silica pool sand"? There are some other sands out there, and some are slightly smaller in diameter which allows them to flow into/through the laterals thereby entering the pool. A couple other things could be too high pump pressure (force) (kind of doubt that's your problem though) and too much sand installed. Lastly, since your valve is new, maybe one of those new laterals simply didn't seat well during reassembly? Did you fill the tank up with some water before pouring the sand onto the laterals? We recommend that to prevent weight of the sand from moving/cracking a lateral.

Nice to have you with us at TFP.

I will check sand when i get home. Told guy at pool store which filter i have, this is what he gave me. No i did not put water in before pouring sand in. Did not have to remove lateral to put new valve in. Old valve did same thing after backwash

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.