Remove Diesel in pool

Keithb

Sep 28, 2014
Wharton County, Texas
Any ideas how to rid a pool system of about 2 quarts of diesel? At this point, I have put a few gallons of Clear Aid over the past few days that's supposed to help remove oils. We no longer see an oil film on top of the water.

I've turned water on to the pool to let it overflow out my drain for a while.

I've laid out oil absorbent pads in my spa before the overflow & the pool itself.

Today I removed the 4 cartridge filters, sprayed out, soaked in muriatic acid & clear aid, then sprayed again. You can still see the oil film as you spray. Should I just throw these cartridges away or are they salvageable? I just purchased them last August. I do have a set of filters coming tomorrow.

To how it got in there, not so funny story. Last summer my wife poured diesel into our riding mower. I drained the tank into a muriatic acid jug I had left over & sat it next to my gas & diesel jugs. Over spring break my wife just had to clean the garage. Well she put that muriatic acid jug with diesel in it on the pool chemical shelf. I'll let you guess the next part, but I was trying to lower my pH.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A solution if TSP (trisodium phosphate) will remove the diesel from the filters better than MA. You can get TSP at hardware stores in the paint section. Don't use the "phosphate free" TSP, you want REAL TSP if you can get it.

As for the pool, not many options there but time and filtration. You're doing all the right things with Pig Mats and draining. The enzyme clarifiers aren't going to do much for your level of contamination. Chlorine and filtration are your friends.

Are you seeing an overnight chlorine loss?

A solution if TSP (trisodium phosphate) will remove the diesel from the filters better than MA. You can get TSP at hardware stores in the paint section. Don't use the "phosphate free" TSP, you want REAL TSP if you can get it.

Are you seeing an overnight chlorine loss?

I do have a small container of TSP from when I refinished our cabinets. It was suggested to remove grease from them, which makes sense for this case as well.

Should I soak them in the TSP or spray on as a mixed solution?

In all honesty I haven't checked chemicals since this happened. Baseball games, etc consumed my time. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow.

The clarity has definitely improved. I left the cartridges out tonight and didn't plan to run pump until I get the cartridge situation figured out. I may put them back in the morning and let it run throughout the day then re-clean tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!!

Soak them. Use the direction on the box. I think the standard cleaning formulation is 1/4cup per gallon of water. You can use a large plastic garbage can and try to soak all of them at once if you have multiple cartridges.

Note to self............only store POOL chemicals in pool chemical bottles and containers! I can so see my husband doing the same thing your wife did. Not being bad but trying to help-bless their hearts LOL

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sad part was, the red gas jug was labeled diesel with magic marker all over the place.

Wel...THAT was the problem...proper diesel gas cans are YELLOW not RED....you should have had the diesel stored in it's proper container.... :pth: :laughblue:

The sad part was, the red gas jug was labeled diesel with magic marker all over the place.

Wel...THAT was the problem...proper diesel gas cans are YELLOW not RED....you should have had the diesel stored in it's proper container.... :pth: :laughblue:

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm told that in the '70s during the oil embargo (slightly before my time...), my uncle had a small dump truck. He had his gasoline stolen twice. So, his solution was to write "DIESEL" in red paint on the gas tank. It wasn't a diesel truck, but he never got hit again...

After rinsing, soaking in muriatic acid & clear aid, rinsing, soaking in TSP granule mixture & rinsing; I believe we got 99% of it gone. It was a very long process. We cleaned inside of filter, pump, and scrubbed the tile. Still have some pig mats in spa overflow to catch any residue. I believe those worked well.

I think the clear aid allowed the filters to filter out the diesel and catch it there?

Hopefully we'll be good to go! Thanks for all of your input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.