Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with pool size...

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with pool size...

Ok, so I have been told by one pool guy that my pool is about 14,500 gallons. Another told me he thought it is around 18,000 gallons. But I just took some measurements and averaged everything and came up with 11,800 gallons. It is a free form pool, so that adds to the challenge. Below is a pic of the pool and my sketch with measurements (the x's are depth measurements). What do y'all think? I'm dealing with a pretty wide range here.
    IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    12k gal. , white plaster, 1HP Century pump, Pentair Clean and Clear cartridge filter, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner w/ 3/4HP booster pump. Built - 2011(est.) / Rosenberg, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with pool size...

Easiest way to get a really good number is test FC with a recommended kit. Measure out 64 oz of bleach or somewhere around there. Add it with pump going. Retest FC in about 10 minutes and use pool math to see what pool size would give you the FC increase you saw from the 2 tests.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. With you getting almost 12k gallons, maybe 32 oz
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, still waiting on my test kit. If my measurements and calculations are correct, I've been adding waayyy too much chlorine.
    12k gal. , white plaster, 1HP Century pump, Pentair Clean and Clear cartridge filter, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner w/ 3/4HP booster pump. Built - 2011(est.) / Rosenberg, TX

4. Back To Top    #4

I would start with 15k as my pool is almost the same. Then adjust after the FC
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90