Hi, Where (which forum) do I post questions related to New Plaster Startup?

Thanks. Multiple questions, but for starters, it says "Traditional Start-up
Your builder will normally take care of the first five steps and then turn it over to you."

1.) What first 5 steps is this referring to?

What first 5 steps is this referring to?
In that particular method of the 3 types of start-up, the 5 steps refer to those in that section only. The owner picks-up where it says "Continue to brush, vacuum, test water balance, and clean the filter for one to two weeks, or 3 days after you see no plaster dust coming off when you brush."

2.) Will this work as a sequestrant?
View attachment 59133
3.) When it says clean filter when pressure starts to rise, can I simply backwash? Or do I need to break it down? My concern with breaking down the filter to clean it is the amount of time the water would not be circulating while I clean it.
4.) It says not to SLAM (or shock) the pool within 30 days, but I am supposed to start raising chlorine levels gradually 3 days after the pool is full of water, correct? Or should I not worry about chlorine until after the alkalinity and pH are properly balanced?

Thanks. Multiple questions, but for starters, it says "Traditional Start-up
Your builder will normally take care of the first five steps and then turn it over to you."

1.) What first 5 steps is this referring to?

Message not sure if the author was referring to the first 5 steps above or of the start up.

Either
-DO NOT SWIM DURING THE BREAK IN PERIOD!
-Turn off the heater and leave it off for at least 3 weeks after filling. If practical, bypass the heater during this period.
-Fill the pool. The pool should be filled as quickly as possible, without stopping. Use multiple hoses if possible. Do not allow water from the hose to spray directly onto the fresh plaster.
-When the pool is full, add a startup dose of sequestrant.
-Brush the entire pool at least once a day for the first week and at least once a week for the rest of the first month, more often is better. Make sure to brush the entire plaster surface. Brush from the top of the walls down and from the shallow to the deep end to knock off any loose plaster dust.

Or
-Check all equipment and make sure it's functional.
-Circulate the water, add sequestrant. Run pump 24 hours a day for first week.
-Watch the filter pressure and clean the filter as soon as it rises 20% to 25% over the starting pressure and right after vacuuming. The plaster dust might clog the filter quickly so keep an eye on it and clean the filter as needed.
-After the first 48 hours vacuum daily before brushing using a vacuum head with brushes (such as used in vinyl pools) instead of wheels to prevent marring the plaster. Clean filter after vacuuming.

In either case, discuss start up with your builder to gain a good understanding of to what they will do and what they expect you to do for a good start up.

Also, most plaster manufacturers have start up guidelines on their websites and/or will send you detailed instructions when you register your warranty online.

2.) Will this work as a sequestrant?
Attachment 59133
3.) When it says clean filter when pressure starts to rise, can I simply backwash? Or do I need to break it down? My concern with breaking down the filter to clean it is the amount of time the water would not be circulating while I clean it.
4.) It says not to SLAM (or shock) the pool within 30 days, but I am supposed to start raising chlorine levels gradually 3 days after the pool is full of water, correct? Or should I not worry about chlorine until after the alkalinity and pH are properly balanced?

2 - That product should be okay. Simply insurance for new plaster and unknown metals that may be in local water.
3 - Simply backwashing at first should be okay, but depends upon the amount of plaster dust generated. At some point, a thorough cleaning may be required.
4 - Once stabilizer is added, it is generally advised to maintain a moderate chlorine level to avoid algae. A SLAM uses a higher shock level to kill algae which we advise not to do in fresh plaster.

As pooldv noted, make sure to discuss all of these topics with your builder before taking action. Our instructions are there to help you for sure, but your warranty is #1, and some builders are very strict about their own start-up process. Use our start-up page to be informed and arm yourself with a good foundation of knowledge then compare to what your installer says. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help so far.

5.) I was told not to use a vacuum head with wheels and to use a vacuum with brush head instead during the startup period. Any recommendations on a brush vacuum head?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.