Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello From California !!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face Hello From California !!!

Hello everyone,

I'm a newb... First time pool owner. Wife & I had a blank slate for our backyard, so we decided to landscape & build a pool. We live on 1/2 acre so we had a lot of room to play with. We live in the high desert region of Southern CA.

Our pool has been up and running for 1 month now. We have not swimmed in it yet, as I am still am still struggling to get the chemicals under control.

I LOVE this site !!! An array of information for those willing to seek it.

So at the advice of this site, I invested in a REAL test kit ( K-2006) and started stocking up on chemicals I will need and bought a killer robotic vacuum.

I'm going to be my own pool guy. I find it therapeutic and rewarding.

Soooo.... I will be asking lots of questions.

Thanks a million of letting me be part of this Community...

Mike.
    18 X 38, 18K gal, IGP W/ Infinity Spa. EasyTouch 8 ch
    Pentair 1.5HP VS pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Pentair 250K HD heater, Del Ozone Corona Discharge
    - Generator ( Eclipse 10 ).
    Pebble Tec Finish. Dolphin Triton Plus vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello From California !!!

Mike,

Congrats on the new pool and welcome to TFP! I also find taking care of the pool relaxing and rewarding. I love to test my water and feed The Beast. There is so much to discover here at TFP. Great job on the pool sig.

Enjoy!

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Mike! Great choice to test your own water. Very easy and rewarding, not to mention accurate and could save you some serious bucks. Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Just a tip: your CH levels will probably exceed the recommended levels in no time due to hard water and evaporation. Pay attention to the CSI calculation in the table on poolmath. If it starts getting close to +.5, you'll need to keep pH and TA down at the lower end of the range. It can be done, because I've been doing it for years. Don't obsess on it just yet, but file this away and don't panic when you start seeing your numbers outside the range. By then, you may have already figured it out. If not, post about it but don't panic and start replacing thousands of gallons of water because it isn't necessary.

Also, if you haven't discovered this yet out where you live, wind is a worse enemy than heat as far as evaporation goes. A cover will help a lot, assuming it doesn't get blown off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!