I am about to burn my pool down.

Apr 12, 2017
Bay Minette, AL
Hello,

I acquired a pool last summer in the purchase of my home. It is a 20x40 3ft shallow end and 8ft deep end. I did the bare minimum last year, it was already clear when we got it. I just added chlorine. This year trying to open it I am about to run out of hair to pull out. The pool was not winterized and was uncovered near a lot of trees. It was dark green, could barely see the top step. I have gone through the following steps.

1. Spend 3 days scooping leaves out. Got as many of them as humanly possible. (After leaves out I turned on pump and have not turned it off since, backwash when pressure hits 30 psi (normally runs around 18-19 psi))
2. Adjust ph - ph was below 6.2 so it took a couple days and a lot of sodium carbonate but I got that up
3. SLAM - I raised the FC level to approx 20 ppm and kept it there for the better part of a week. (It started getting expensive so I stopped when there were no noticeable results)
4. Have water tested at pool store. Told my CYA was too high and I was in chlorine lock.
5. Drained half the water and refilled. Twice.
6. Had water retested at pool store. Told my CYA was ok, that I should shock and then flock or revive and vac to waste.
7. Scrubbed the walls and shocked with 6 lbs of calcium-hypo(something) left overnight.
8. Next morning pool was just as green. Called pool store, told to shock it again.
9. Scrubbed the walls shocked with 9 lbs of calcium-hypo(something) left overnight
10. Next morning pool was just as green.
11. Get mad and cuss a lot then make this post.

These are my latest readings from the pool store.
FC - 0.29 ppm
TC - 0.62 ppm
CC - 0.33 ppm
pH - 6.9
Hardness - 38 ppm
Alkalinity (w/ stabilizer correction) - 21 ppm
CYA - 39 ppm
Copper - 0.2 ppm
Iron - 0.1 ppm
Phosphate - 124 ppb

These were taken after refilling my pool just prior to my step 7 shock. I tested at home after and recall that I had a pH of 7.8 and FC and TC were over 10. (My kit does not read over 10)

Any advice on what I am doing wrong or if I am just not being patient enough. I can add pics later after I get home.

W,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for those that do not understand that water puts out fires... :shark:

I would recommend that you check out this link.... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb

The main thing you are doing wrong is going to the Pool $tore... If you decide to stay with us, we can point you in the right direction to take control of your pool yourself, and stay out of the Pool Store.

Although our advice is free, we need to be able to compare apples to apples, which means you have to test your own water using one of our recommended test kits. Either the TF-100 or the Taylor K2006C. We can't use, nor do we trust, "Guess" strips or Pool Store testing.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

If you got all the leaf junk out there, a big part of getting it right is already done.

Just follow the steps of the SLAM process and you will be happy again.

As Jim said, a proper test kit is needed first otherwise it's like driving blind.

Hello guys,

Just to give you an update. I finally got my pool clear and it looks beautiful. I got my K-2006C kit in today and got a chance to run a full battery of tests. The results (from my initial run, so may be off, but I think I did it correctly) are as follows.

FC- 0 ppm
CC- 0 ppm
pH - 7.4
TA- 100 ppm
CH - 60 ppm
CYA- <30 ppm (I filled it all the way up and I could see the black dot just fine.)

I am going to get some bleach to put into it right now. Also, I have some of the 3" pucks to put in the skimmer basket. Should I just use those to bring the CYA level up slowly, or should I go for the stabilizer?

I was a little suprised by the FC reading, but I tested it with the FAS-DPD and with a little OTO test I have and both came up with nothing.

Wes,

I'd add stabilizer and bleach now..

You want to quickly get enough CYA into your pool so that the chlorine does not get used up so quickly.

You can still use the 3" pucks over time as long as you keep your eye on the CYA level..

But putting them in the skimmer is never a good idea. If you are going to use them get a floating dispenser.

Thanks,

Jim R.

skimmer basket is not a good place for pucks, ESPECIALLY in a vinyl lined pool.

When the pump is off the water in the skimmer will get super concentrated and burn / shrivel / discolor your liner near the skimmer opening.
someone posted a photo of theirs that got burned a few months back and they had to replace it.

If you use the pucks, put them in a floater but only while the pump is running.

Wes,

I'd add stabilizer and bleach now..

You want to quickly get enough CYA into your pool so that the chlorine does not get used up so quickly.

You can still use the 3" pucks over time as long as you keep your eye on the CYA level..

But putting them in the skimmer is never a good idea. If you are going to use them get a floating dispenser.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I can't stress this enough. I made this mistake at opening this season and have been here long enough to know better. Getting that CYA up to the right level is important. I wasted many bottles of bleach already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.