new pool owner asking for advice

Jun 18, 2009
Hey everybody, it's hot in Texas! I've been trying to read up the last couple days, this looks like THE place to be... New pool owner (intex 20x12x48", 6300gal) just now about full with filtered, softened well water... crystal clear, looks inviting... Got a walmart 6 way test kit until I get a better one, first test results: ph 7.4, t/a 360, hardness 0, ran cya and chlorine just for grins, 0 on both... I am using the bbb method, hoping for some advice on the order I need to start adding things to address the t/a and get up to speed on chlorine and cya... played with the pool calculator so I have an idea about what to do, just don't want to screw it all up from the get-go...
Thanks
GW

And what did the Pool Calc tell you? :wink:

You shouldn't have wasted the CYA Reagent :whip: - tap water doesn't have any. :mrgreen:

1st: Chlorine
2nd: CYA
3rd: Chlorine
4th, when CYA and chlorine are holding steady lower the TA. You can read "How To" in Pool School.

Welcome, we're glad to help. :wave:

Let us answer any questions or if you get confused on anything.

Yeah, FPM's got the sequence right.

Just to protect your water and keep it crystal clear, I'd add a small 1/2 jug of clorox each evening until I put the CYA in the pool.

Then, about 24 hours after I put the CYA in, I would test FC and start dosing the pool just like the CYA was in place........even tho it won't show up on the tests for up to a week after you put it in.

That should get you swimming and enjoying the pool. Once your routine for adding chlorine settles in, you can address the TA issue.

So far so good... water still looks awesome, clorine was about 5 this morning, by this afternoon in the sun all day is was back to about 0... added another half jug of clorox, brought it back to about 4... Started adding cya granular, tried dissolving some in a bucket, seems like a slow process, is that normal? Directions say to add it slowly to skimmer, seems it might plug the filter before it dissolves...

GW

gwdeuce said:
So far so good... water still looks awesome, clorine was about 5 this morning, by this afternoon in the sun all day is was back to about 0... added another half jug of clorox, brought it back to about 4... Started adding cya granular, tried dissolving some in a bucket, seems like a slow process, is that normal? Directions say to add it slowly to skimmer, seems it might plug the filter before it dissolves...

GW
Hi GW,

You can put the CYA in a sock and hang it in front of a return or lay it to one side in the skimmer basket, making sure to not block the water flow.

BTW, try really hard to NOT let your FC drop below 2ppm. :wink:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Put the cya in an old white sock and tie it to the skimmer or onto the pool so that the part that has the chemicals in it is in the water and then just keep swishing it around when ever you think about it. It will take several days to disolve. Trust me dumping stablizer onto a pool bottem is NOT a good idea. I wasn't careful last year and it bleached my intex pool and now there is a weak spot in it. Good thing I'm upgrading this week. You are going to love that pool, I had ours for a long time. Kimrst

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.