Salt water generator?

Wanting to put a saltwater generator on my above ground pool. the pool store that installed my pool said no way cant do. Is this true? Also wanting to keep my pool open year round so i do not have to deal with a pool cover or drag this huge filter inside for winter, the pool store said no way to this as well? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I dont trust the pool store that wants to sell their own chemicals.

The pool stores that I was going in prior to finding TFP were very leery of SWG and discouraged their use. Maybe that was just the stores around me. Once you get a SWG, it becomes more difficult for them to get loads of CYA in your water and sale you even more stuff to "fix" it. Ultimately telling you to drain some water and add this new stuff. Just my two cents.

Please excuse the cloudy water. All levels are good waiting on tf100 test kit. When we had the electric hooked up i called the pool place to see where i should have the setting on the filter and they told me filter. I later found out that I should have rinsed the new sand first. I am having a hard time clearing it up. May have to drain and refill, hope not. I have been filtering around the clock and vacummed sand off the bottom. I dont think it will work because if the sand blew out of the filter on start up its probably very small particals that will continue to go through the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

They said it would void the warranty and salt would rust the pool in no time. they wanted to sell me perma salt system. they didnt sell what i was looking at, which was the hayward above ground swg

hmm, imagine that. (=

I am not a vinyl guy, so I will let others chime in. I also don't "think" the flex plumbing will be an issue, but again, I will let others chime in. Once you get your test kit, and we get some numbers, we will get that water looking awesome without a drain and refill.

It was crystal clear until the electric got hooked up and we turned the filter on with fresh sand in it. i know the cya is low because we just finished filling it Sunday evening. Monday afternoon after the electric guy hooked it up that is when it shot cloudy sand out of the filter. Makes me so mad, I should call the pool place and have them come clean it

They said it would void the warranty and salt would rust the pool in no time. they wanted to sell me perma salt system. they didnt sell what i was looking at, which was the hayward above ground swg
Unless this pool store sold you the pool I would suggest you contact the people actually responsible for the warranty. DO NOT install a perma salt system, it is not a saltwater chlorine system, it is a copper ion system and never recommended here. From everything you are saying you might want to find another source to purchase an SWG from and stay far away from that particular pool store. Pool stores have a (deserved) bad reputation around here and yours sounds worse than most.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is the same store that sold me the pool and they do not sell a swg. The salesperson told me the guy that owns Family Leisure (where i bought this pool) Is the guy that invented the perma salt. I almost bought it but changed my mind a few days before they came to install it. I read on here not to get it, so I cancelled it.

If you can't use an SWG with a vinyl pool, then thousands of us on this forum are in big trouble.

The problem wouldn't be the vinyl but perhaps aluminum rails? i can't see well from the pictures but if the railings are metal, they could potentially rust out?? You can always try a cheap SWG and see if there's any issues and stop using it if you see corrosion. This SWG is usually on sale for $100 bucks and works well for above ground pools. It should have easy connectors to your sand filter.

https://www.amazon.com/Saltwater-Electrocatalytic-Oxidation-15000-Gallon-110-120V/dp/B00PHWUK42

Check your local Walmart. I found one in their outdoor section marked down for $40. I didn't even need one as I already have a system but bought it just in case my cell dies one day and I can't get around to replacing it quickly.

When I first installed my SWG I paid very close attention to my water chemistry. Everything worked well except for the filter clamp that tightens my DE filter (it looks like the picture below). It immediately started getting what looked like calcium buildup. It had so much buildup that there was a thin black film originally over the band but it ended up flaking off and years later it is very hard to open and close the band around the filter because it's so corroded around the bolts that join the 3 sections into one. I thought there may have been some type of galvanic issue going on (even though the filter is made of fiberglass) so I even grounded it but that didn't help either. To this day, I have no idea what happened but I've had no other issues with metal parts around the pool.

dex2421jkit.jpg

I had this setup for about 4 years. Used and intex sand filter system and intellichlor IC-15.
Wonderful setup, as for the metal things just make sure you rinse with tap water after all the
splashing while swiming. So you know its easy, i managed to do it with Lie Strips, so its not
that hard.

Felipe

Don't listen to Family Leisure, I got a good deal on my pool there 2 years ago and don't have a use for them anymore since I found this place. They only sell the Perma salt and chlorine canister systems so they can make money. I have a Hayward Aquatrol SWG on my pool and it works great! My pool is vinyl with pvc supports and rails. I've had no issues with salt water causing any problems.

I have resin rails and top seats. So I think I'll try the swag next year. I wish I had gotten a cartridge filter now since I can't get the pool back to crystal clear. The sand filter made it look horrible and now I think I'm gonna drain all 19000 gallons and start over. I know I should stay away from pool chemicals and I intend to. But before I drain it should I try a clarifier?

All chlorine pools contain salt, added by chlorine, muriatic acid, & body sweat.

In a 19000 gallon pool it takes about 87oz of 8.25% laundry bleach to raise FC 3ppm & salt 5ppm. After one year of daily 3ppm FC additions you will add 1825ppm of salt. If you only run your pool for 6 months a year you still add over 900ppm of salt in a season. In 4 seasons (or 2 years if open year-round) you will have 3650ppm of salt in the pool, perfect level for a SWG.

Stay out of that (any) pool $tore.

Clarifier?

I'm about to drain my pool this weekend unless anyone has any suggestions. Should I try clarifier before I do so. I've tried vacuuming yesterday and it's still not clear this morning have had the filter running 24 hours since Monday. pool was installed on Friday. I started filling it on friday, finished it on Sunday. It was crystal clear till I plugged in the sand filter on Monday after electricians hooked it up and we tested it on the filter setting as the people who sold me the pool said to do. Should have them come fix it. All the guy did was say he was sorry that he didn't tell me to rinse first. 19300 is alot of water to drain and refill. I'm waiting on my test kit. I do know the cloudy Sandy water is not a chemical issue as I do know how to manage water chemistry. I've had my hot tub crystal clear for several years. Although I'm always dumping chemicals in hence that is why I'm here, I'm tired of pool store and all the chemicals needed. So my question is should I try clarifier before I drain. Isn't it suppose to get rid of tiny partials that must be passing through the sand filter? I've never used clarifier so I don't know?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.