Solar Cover Kidney Shaped Pool

Apr 12, 2017
Hart, MI
I have 25,000 gallon kidney shaped pool approximately 20X40. This will be my second summer with this pool and I am thinking about purchasing a solar cover for the pool. Has any one used 2 round covers for their kidney shaped pool? My husband is worried that that they will bunch together. I live in Michigan and don't heat our pool. I just want the pool to get warmer sooner.

Welcome to TFP!

I cut my solar cover in half to make it easier to handle and there is no issue with it staying in place. There are pics of half of the solar cover on the pool in post #257 of my pool thread, link in sig.

My pool (LINK) is somewhat similar to yours. The house came with a solar cover, that was never cut to shape. Last year, I did so, and found it a bit of a chore to take on and off. I was just thinking of cutting the cover in two to make it easier. I was planning to cut at the narrowest point, more or less having a shallow and deep end pieces. I expect the narrowing and unique shaped walls to keep the two pieces from wandering.

Your pool's shape may do the same.

I have an irregular shaped 20x40 pool and cut my cover into (3) semi equal sections width-wise.
Just used scissors then attacked a piece of 1/2 pvc pipe to each piece with zip ties.
I did this to make it easier to float back into place.

I have an irregular shaped 20x40 pool and cut my cover into (3) semi equal sections width-wise.
Just used scissors then attacked a piece of 1/2 pvc pipe to each piece with zip ties.
I did this to make it easier to float back into place.

This sounds interesting. Can you share a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about the DIY solar roller last year but gave up when I couldn't find a source of foam core ABS piping.

HINT TO ALL: True value hardware stores have it online and will ship it to local locations for you. (LINK) Is there any value in paying the extra $1/10ft for stuff rated schedule 40? Or upsizing to 2" for that matter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.