Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing cartridges

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Replacing cartridges

Hey All! I am looking at replacing the cartridges on my sta-rite system 3 model s8m600 filter. My problem is when I look up the part numbers from the owners manual they a show up as being for the s8m500 or s8m150 model. I couldn't find much info on the filter model itself either so I called the pool builder today and was told they are the only ones I can get the cartridges from, they are $900 and I would be better off just replacing the whole filter. What the heck! Talk about a scam!

I am wondering if I just get the cartridges with the right part numbers online that they should be the correct ones??? It's looking to me like they just came up with a special model number for the pool builder just so they can screw idiots like me. Oi!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jennifer
    12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, A&A leaf vac, A&A quik skim, A&A infloor cleaning

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing cartridges

Jennifer, give Inyopools.coma quick call. They have a very good library of info. If anyone can get compatible cartridges for you, I'm sure they can. Tell them you're a TFP member.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Pat! I actually did call them first and they said the part numbers brought up the other model numbers just like I found online. She said they didn't have info on the model I have. I thought maybe it was a discontinued model so that's why I called the builder next.
    12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, A&A leaf vac, A&A quik skim, A&A infloor cleaning

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Did you try Poolsupplyworld? I think they list both filters for that unit.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I found both part numbers listed at pool supply world. My only concern is when I click on them it says they go to different model numbers than what I have. I am thinking if the part numbers are right tho they should fit. Does that seem reasonable?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

That's what I would do. I think they list the physical size, so if you want to be sure you could measure the old ones and compare.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, great! Thanks for the help!

8. Back To Top    #8

Not much help, but I have a different System 3 filter and there is a label on the lid which lists the two filters and model numbers. I found that there were no aftermarket sources, so I ordered a set of Sta-Rite branded cartridges on eBay. There is also an alternative retro-fit system. I have no experience with it and don't know if it works with your model, but I've had it bookmarked for a long time.

Excel Filters System: 3 Retrofit Kit - Eden Equipment
    ============================================================ ===========
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I love my Pleatco filter cartridges. They are cheaper and better than my OEM Pentair cartridges. They make replacement cartridges for lots of filters. The would be my first call for a filter. Pleatco | Advanced Pool 1-800-886-5160
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Are you looking for 25022-0228s and 25021-0225s?
    I'm only finding them at Pool Supply World and Pool Supply Unlimited. Nothing on Amazon, eBay or elsewhere.
    screen enclosed 12 x 24 rectangle 10k IG gunite with AquaBright (Blue Lagoon w/Blue Med markers), Pentair CnC RP 150, Pentair Superflo VS (no SWG, no water features, no heater)
    K2006 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Yup those are the part #s I have. I have been looking at the pool supply world site a bunch today.

Bignick- thanks for that website! I had no idea that was an option. I think it would be great for me, I haven't cleaned my current filters like I should because I can't move them on my own. It's cheaper too.

I will check out pleatco too, thanks!

You guys are full of great info!