Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting pumps for the first time and need to SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting pumps for the first time and need to SLAM

Hi folks! It's been a while since I've been on here...we made it through a KY winter without a cover on our inground pool. (still waiting for concrete for our decking!) Least to say, we are ready to get the pumps running and water chemistry figured out. We have done this pool all DIY, except for the electric and soon to be concrete deck.
    I'm a little overwhelmed. Our pool is green, we have leaves, bug and frogs in it. We are putting the sand in the filter this week. Is there any link on advice on how to start up our pump/filter/cleaner and then SLAM the pool? I do have the TFP 100 kit. I'm wondering if we just need to bite the bullet and pay someone to come help. Is this doable for first time diy pool owners?!?
    Thanks! Vanessa
    Owner build Fall 2016, L-shape inground vinyl 20x45x36 40,000 Gallons, TF-100 kit, from Western Kentucky

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting pumps for the first time and need to SLAM

It's definitely doable. Get your filter filled, make sure plumbing valves are open and get water circulating. Add bleach, enough to get 3-4 fc to begin with, and do a full s t of tests. Adjust ph if need d to 7.2. Start adding bl ache to get to slam levels based on cya and est. maintain fc at slam level until clear, cc<0.5, and you pass oclt. Then worry about other balances if needed
    If your cya is 0, you can add just enough to get to 30. Don't go higher until after slam, and then only if you need to
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you do not have one, get a STURDY, LARGE leaf net and scoop all the solid stuff out of the pool. TFTestkits has a couple of good ones TFTestkits.net

Once the pool is clear of physical debris (all you can get, anyway), then it's time to follow the procedure above
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice! We have the pump and filter going, and our robot cleaner in the pool. Can I get some help on the SLAM chemicals? TIA! Below are my tests from this morning:
    40,000 gallon vinyl inground Now Goal
    FC 4.5 ppm 5
    pH 7.5 7.5
    TA 40 65
    CH 50 ppm 150
    Cya 20 40
    CC 1 ppm ?
    Owner build Fall 2016, L-shape inground vinyl 20x45x36 40,000 Gallons, TF-100 kit, from Western Kentucky