Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Balancing with Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Balancing with Questions

Hi All,

I'm in the process of bringing my water in line with TFP recommendations but I have a couple of questions.

- The chart shows my CYA should be 70-80. Why is the recommendation so much higher for a SWG vs traditional? I think I confused myself when I reviewed an old chart, that was highly detailed, posted by Chem Geek (I think). Boy that guy is smart!

- my PB wants me to add a cupful of the item pictured every month to help fight the trace metals I have in my well water. What negative impact will this create?

16k Gallon, IG Vinyl, 16 x 34 x 25 Lagoon. Pentair Intelliflo VS2, ScreenLogic 2, Pentair Sand Filter, Colorlogic LEDs, TF-100, Speedstir, Pentair 920 Prowler (Rosie), and all wine is fine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Balancing with Questions

We recommend a higher CYA range for SWG pools because the FC produced by your SWG is much smaller (gradual) over a 24 hr period. Therefore we've learned that the free chlorine works best and lasts longer with more protection from the sun. It's just a better balance.

With well water, it is good to be proactive and prevent metal staining. Is it always necessary? Depends on the iron content in your well. One thing for sure .... keep your pH on the lower side of the range - about 7.4-7.5. Staining is more possible when pH gets high, so watch it faithfully. Iron also tends to precipitate out and stain when FC gets really high, so by using an SWG with higher CYA to balance, you can keep the FC in a lower recommended range which is great for you. It's all a delicate balancing act with well water.

Big keys: Don't let pH get high, keep FC in the recommended range (never too low to get algae and not too high to anger iron), and occasionally us a metal sequestrant to prevent metal from staining. More about iron on the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page.

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

This response was unbelievably helpful. Thank you so much!

16k Gallon, IG Vinyl, 16 x 34 x 25 Lagoon. Pentair Intelliflo VS2, ScreenLogic 2, Pentair Sand Filter, Colorlogic LEDs, TF-100, Speedstir, Pentair 920 Prowler (Rosie), and all wine is fine.

4. Back To Top    #4

That metal free is a sequestrant, not a remover.

The best way to picture it is an M&M. The hard shell is the sequestrant. As long as it's there, the chocolate won't make a mess in your hand. The chocolate's still there, though. Unless you want blotchy stains on the pool walls, use the sequestrant since you know you have metals.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That metal free is a sequestrant, not a remover.

The best way to picture it is an M&M. The hard shell is the sequestrant. As long as it's there, the chocolate won't make a mess in your hand. The chocolate's still there, though. Unless you want blotchy stains on the pool walls, use the sequestrant since you know you have metals.
    Thank you, Richard! That's a good explanation. I will use it. It just made me nervous at first. I'm glad it is phosphate free.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a question about the same Metal Free product. I am currently filling my 19000 gal pool with city water after replastering. I bought this product to use as the sequestrant that I would pour into the pool tomorrow after done filling. However, on the Metal Free manufacturer website it says to only use this product in balanced pool water, but in my case, it would be the first chemical I add. Is that going to be okay? What's the worst that could happen if I added this product but the water didn't actually have that much metal in it? Also, am I okay adding this product after pool is already full or should I add some when it is halfway full? I don't want my plaster ruined by metal in the water and I guess I'm concerned with the speed at which such a thing could happen. Thanks for any advice!

IG, Plaster, 17,500 gal, Free-form (angular)
    Pentair FNSP 48 DE filter (48 sqft)
    Hayward SP3010X15AZ pump with 1.5 HP motor (installed 3/2015)
    Rock waterfall, large live oak shades half the pool
    Re-plastered April, 2017