new pool next week! water test suggestions?

Mar 19, 2017
FL
Getting a 18x52 metal frame ABG installed next monday, I'm trying to go ahead and get a few things i need from good ol' amazon....
I have found the
Poolmaster 22270 5-Way Test with Case, is this adequate for basics?
I don't want to get more than i need, and i also don't want to have to go to the pool store unless absolutely necessary to have them test it!
Suggestions on things I will need to have?
This is my first pool I have owned (yay)

http://www.splashpoolsandspas.com/symphony

Congratulations! It seems that kit does not test for CYA. If that is the case I would not get it. You can get a high quality kit via this site. I know it seems like a lot of money at first glance but it is not and it's worth it. There is a Taylor test kit that's recommended too (not sure on the model #). You'll need a vacuum hose and head and pole. A plastic bristle brush (not metal, that will pierce your liner). Also a net. I just get a leaf net instead of the flat net. Reason being is I use the leaf net when summer winds down (lots of acorns and leafs falling) so why buy 2. If you buy the proper test kit and follow the tfp method to a T your pool will be nothing but joy.

Best,

If you want to stay out of the Pool $tore, you need to have one of our recommend test kits.. The TF-100 or Taylor K2006C..

Using one of the recommended kits is what allows us to help you, if you every run into trouble with your water chemistry.

Thanks for posting and good luck with your new pool.

Jim R.

https://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOLOGIES-INC-K-2006-CHLORINE/dp/B004BGF7TI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492008922&sr=8-1&keywords=TAYLOR+POOL+TEST+KIT
how about this one? I've read that i still need test strips? should i go ahead and invest in some or will the drops be sufficient?
The store also sells the automatic flat vaccuums, but i decided i would be ok with the manual for now, until i really know if I need it. For the most part its just 2 of us using the pool, (well me more, for catching those FL rays!)

I recommend you get your advice all from one place. You mention reading that test strips will still be needed. That isn't from TFP. Not needed and in fact useless for the most part.

The Taylor K-2006C has more reagents. However, the best value for the amount of reagents you actually use is the TF-100. http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

Welcome to TFP! Great job on getting a great test kit! You are starting off correctly for sure. It will be easy peasy for you in no time. Once you get water in your pool, don't add anything until you post a complete set of test results here. You could go ahead and practice all tests except CYA on your tap water, as you will need to know some of these values anyways. Chemicals you will need are liquid chlorine/bleach(regular, non-scented, NOT splashless), Muriatic acid (20° baume or 31.45%), and granular stabilizer. Great Value bleach from WalMart is what I use. The Muriatic acid (MA) can easily be found at Lowes or Home Depot. No other magic potions needed. Stock up on the bleach.

Thank you for that! I think you just made me feel a little more at ease! I definitely don't want to deal with having to pour a lot of things in there that i don't need (which i know pool stores will try to do!) I didn't even think about testing my tap water beforehand! Genius!

Ok so I got the Taylor kit..played around with my tap water ( city water yuck)
I'm horrible at math...these may be all off so hopefully if anything I'll give everyone a laugh if these are so very wrong.

Fc. 2.6
Cc 0???
Ph 8.
Ta 100?
Ch 80
I'll be getting an 18x52 round pool
Completely new to this and really have no idea what I'm doing I feel like... glad to have this forum!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.