Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool next week! water test suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool next week! water test suggestions?

Getting a 18x52 metal frame ABG installed next monday, I'm trying to go ahead and get a few things i need from good ol' amazon....
    I have found the
    Poolmaster 22270 5-Way Test with Case, is this adequate for basics?
    I don't want to get more than i need, and i also don't want to have to go to the pool store unless absolutely necessary to have them test it!
    Suggestions on things I will need to have?
    This is my first pool I have owned (yay)

http://www.splashpoolsandspas.com/symphony

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pool next week! water test suggestions?

Congratulations! It seems that kit does not test for CYA. If that is the case I would not get it. You can get a high quality kit via this site. I know it seems like a lot of money at first glance but it is not and it's worth it. There is a Taylor test kit that's recommended too (not sure on the model #). You'll need a vacuum hose and head and pole. A plastic bristle brush (not metal, that will pierce your liner). Also a net. I just get a leaf net instead of the flat net. Reason being is I use the leaf net when summer winds down (lots of acorns and leafs falling) so why buy 2. If you buy the proper test kit and follow the tfp method to a T your pool will be nothing but joy.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery SWCG: Circupool RJ45

3. Back To Top    #3

Best,

If you want to stay out of the Pool $tore, you need to have one of our recommend test kits.. The TF-100 or Taylor K2006C..

Using one of the recommended kits is what allows us to help you, if you every run into trouble with your water chemistry.

Thanks for posting and good luck with your new pool.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

https://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNO...+POOL+TEST+KIT
    how about this one? I've read that i still need test strips? should i go ahead and invest in some or will the drops be sufficient?
    The store also sells the automatic flat vaccuums, but i decided i would be ok with the manual for now, until i really know if I need it. For the most part its just 2 of us using the pool, (well me more, for catching those FL rays!)

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I recommend you get your advice all from one place. You mention reading that test strips will still be needed. That isn't from TFP. Not needed and in fact useless for the most part.

The Taylor K-2006C has more reagents. However, the best value for the amount of reagents you actually use is the TF-100. http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I purchased the taylor k2006c kit, hopefully reading it will come easy...I have read and reread the pool school and its all so confusing. Hopeing it won't be so daunting once i get going! Thanks for all the advice!
    Court from sunny FL!
    18X52 symphony abg metal pool
    blue torrent 2 speed 1 hp pump
    Taylor test kit k2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! Great job on getting a great test kit! You are starting off correctly for sure. It will be easy peasy for you in no time. Once you get water in your pool, don't add anything until you post a complete set of test results here. You could go ahead and practice all tests except CYA on your tap water, as you will need to know some of these values anyways. Chemicals you will need are liquid chlorine/bleach(regular, non-scented, NOT splashless), Muriatic acid (20 baume or 31.45%), and granular stabilizer. Great Value bleach from WalMart is what I use. The Muriatic acid (MA) can easily be found at Lowes or Home Depot. No other magic potions needed. Stock up on the bleach.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for that! I think you just made me feel a little more at ease! I definitely don't want to deal with having to pour a lot of things in there that i don't need (which i know pool stores will try to do!) I didn't even think about testing my tap water beforehand! Genius!
    Court from sunny FL!
    18X52 symphony abg metal pool
    blue torrent 2 speed 1 hp pump
    Taylor test kit k2006

9. Back To Top    #9

If you didn't order this toy, I mean gem, it is highly recommended. https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Stir...ords=SpeedStir

Not needed, but makes testing much easier. Keep asking questions as they come up.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok so I got the Taylor kit..played around with my tap water ( city water yuck)
    I'm horrible at math...these may be all off so hopefully if anything I'll give everyone a laugh if these are so very wrong.

Fc. 2.6
    Cc 0???
    Ph 8.
    Ta 100?
    Ch 80
    I'll be getting an 18x52 round pool
    Completely new to this and really have no idea what I'm doing I feel like... glad to have this forum!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Those numbers look pretty typical.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach