Replacing everything - your ideal equipment

Tredge

Jun 19, 2007
Milton Wisconsin
We recently renovated our pool. Its like new.

Now it is time to replace the pump, filter, and SWG.

This is an in-ground pool, ~35,000 gallons, it is covered and UV protected year round.

What would you choose if you had to do it over?

Considering the following:
VS pump
Cartridge filter
Pentair Ichlor (the new one)

We recently renovated our pool. Its like new.

Now it is time to replace the pump, filter, and SWG.

This is an in-ground pool, ~35,000 gallons, it is covered and UV protected year round.

What would you choose if you had to do it over?

Considering the following:
VS pump
Cartridge filter
Pentair Ichlor (the new one)

The iChlor is kind of a toy...doesn't put out enough chlorine for a pool your size. For a 35,000 gallon pool, you'd be much better off with an IntelliChlor IC-60. Anything smaller and you'll be running your pump 24/7 to keep chlorine in the pool. The cover will help but your pool is very big, so it needs a bigger unit. As far as SWGs go, bigger is always better.

Also, get the largest Clean &Clear possible (540 sq. ft) to reduce cleaning frequency.

What about a pool heater? DO you have any natural gas where you are? A heat pump with the cover would work quite well to extend the swim season.

I love the Pentair Easytouch panel and screen logic for Automation. Very simple, clean and works well. So if you have already decided on one piece of Pentair equipment and are considering automation (I wouldn't do it without these days - but I'm also a geek and like those things) then you should go all Pentair. I've got their VS pump and love the different things I can do with different speeds - low just to circulate and filter, more for the cleaner, even more for the water features and full high if having a big party or to run the waterfall or mix chemicals in faster.

No heater - I do have natural gas but the extended season isnt really that necessary for the added expense.

This will be my third SWG system - they just dont last. Disappointing really but maybe just my luck?
Previous system was an autopilot - the mainboard fried.

Chlorine injection is an option - just sounds like it would be more hands on (weekly fill?)

I think fill times would be based on how big (or small) you size the container holding the chlorine. I would think a 15 gal tank would last a good amount of time. A few posts indicate this should last ~ 30 days. Folks with these systems might be able to chime in and provide more info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.