1st Pool installed yesterday. Help! questions about pump/filter

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I'm having a few questions/problems with my pump/filter. I'll try to list them in order

#1 Isn't the pump basket supposed to be filled with water when the pump is on? My water is kind of trickling in to the pump basket and is about 15% full. Nowhere close to the top. I thought its supposed to be near the top most of the time. When I also feel the return jet I feel the water coming out but its not as much as I thought. Its about the same as when I had my 1000 gph intex

1A) Are you supposed to 'bleed' the air from the relief valve every time the pump is turned on?

#2 My pressure stays at about 0-1 is that normal

#3 Is the wier door supposed to alternate between open and closed? mine seems to be closed most of the time.

#4 I think the hoses I bought are causing leaks. I bought 15 foot hoses that were 'cut' but they don't look as good as the pentair 6' hoses that came with the pump, the openings are slightly bigger than the pentair. I used 2 hose clamps and it drips. Thinking of buying the pentair 12 foot hoses and just moving my equipment slightly so 12' fits. Look at how they 'jagged' cut the hoses, would that be the problem?
IMG_0027.JPGIMG_0028.JPG

5 - do bugs like dark liners better than light? wow, in 1 day there were about 50 tiny dead flies in the water.

Rich,

I'm not really up on AG pools, but I always thought that the pumps used for them are not self-priming because the pool is usually above the pump. Gravity then fills the pump basket.

So my first question to you is.. Show us a pic of your equipment pad in relation to your pool... Maybe one of our AG pool owners will spot something.

I would not worry about anything else, until water is flowing freely between the skimmer and your pump.

I also want to see if our site is working correctly... Is your join date of Jul 2013, and 167 previous posts correct? I only ask because if this is your 1st pool, it does not make sense.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, the prefilter basket should be full of water. Suction side leak was my first guess too. If you rule out the hoses, don't forget about the lid on that basket too.

Thanks troubleshooted everything with the pentair guy. He said it could be an impeller going the wrong way? I don't know. However someone said to fill the water level to about 3/4 up the skimmer return. I only have it 1/2 way. Going to try that.

How do you fill your pump basket with water though, as soon as I unscrew the lid water gushes out. Am I supposed to close the valves first then fill it? I'm not going to do that every day though right?

fixed the pump problem. after reading various things, my pool wasn't filled high enough. I had it filled it halfway up the skimmer return but now it's 3/4 up and everything is fine.

next project is using a socket wrench to tighten the hose clamps. can you tighten too much and break the fitting?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.