Newbie - Going to sign contract in Dallas

Mar 30, 2017
Frisco
Hi everyone,

My very first post here and excited to find this forum!!

We are in process of getting bids from pool builder in dallas-frisco area. We initially had decided to NOT build a spa, and went too far in pricing process. However, recently we changed the plan and decided to include a spa. However, the builder we chose to build, is adding straight 12 K to the total cost for a 7' diameter spa. Should a spa cost this much? OR is he just taking advantage of us adding the spa after making our decision to go with him? I'm not sure, if sharing cost and bid is allowed on this site or not. I can share more information based on the answers. Could someone please share some insight in to how much a spa should be?

welcome to the forum..... we did not include a spa, we had already decided that before going into the bid process, but I did happen to ask our builder just for our own reference and he told us anywhere from 8k-14k..... and the conversation was left as that, I did not even want to ask what could drive the 6k upgrade in a spa alone.... im sure there is plenty of members on here who could answer you better though...

Welcome to TFP!

We saved 15k or 18k by deleting the spa. And then we installed a standalone spa on the back porch for less than 6k. It is covered, always hot, more comfortable, energy efficient and all around better than a built in gunite spa. Adding a spa can add a lot of cost depending on how your pool is configured. A spa needs equipment that many pools don't need like a heater, another pump, extra valves, usually pool automation and valve controllers are also added for a spa. And of course there is quite a bit of extra plumbing, gunite, tiling, light, etc.

I signed a contract and built two years ago this month. The very first words we got when starting the process was the basic minimum pool was $40K and add $10K to it for the spa. They were straight forward and serious. That was from one of the major Plano/Frisco area builders.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm so happy to find this forum!!

I agree that price was the main reason that, we also decided to exclude spa. We got a bid for approx 38x18 pool, 465 sq feet, 94 perimeter with one sheer descent waterfall on a raised wall in the back (about 12 feet long wall) for approx 40K. Then we came to know that adding a spa later would cost much more and from selling the house perspective, spa is considered a big plus. We also considered the option of having separate hot tub however, that's also cost between 6-7K. Therefore, we decided to just up the budget little more and go for a spa. Initially, we got quoted 50K for both pool and spa (no heater was in the original pool estimate) and, we got rid of the sheer water descent in the back, thinking that water descending from spa in to the pool, will serve the same purpose that, sheer descent on back wall was doing. Spa is 7' diameter and raised 18" above ground. Everything was well and good however, before the final design meeting, they increased the estimate and added 2K more (Total 52K) because the sales guy forgot to add plumbing for spa in the estimate. We are still in the process of getting bids from other companies but so far this is the best we got. We've either an option to just go for pool at 40K or pool +spa at 52 K.

What do you all suggest? Should we go for it knowing that may be somewhere else we can save 1 or 2K. The entire process of negotiating a price is a hassle in itself. We can't ever go for build your own route because that's just not us :)

So many things can affect pricing. Not sure what else you have included in those prices. Did you upgrade plaster using Pebbletec or Quartz, etc? Did you add any automation (I'd pay double what I did for the automation - after having it I can't imagine the trips to the pump area for changing valves and pump control.) This was about $2400 add on - using Pentair ET8 and Screen Logic. We are close neighbors by the way - I'm near Coit and La Manga - across from Pierce HS.

IMO if you are going with aesthetics go with the built in, if you are going for comfort go with stand alone. With that said I'm just south of you and 52k for both is a good price, close to what i paid with out the spa!! I personally like the looks of a built in spa

To help as well - I did basic 15 by 30, built in spa and sun ledge, added Pebblesheen by PebbleTec and the Pentair automation, heater included for the spa - $56K total two years ago. That was basic / minimal decking, included repair of fence and sprinkler system and two pallets of sod.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yay!! we are neighbors then, I'm on Teal and Lebanon :) Now, to answer your question, we did not change any of our selection, when we added the spa in the estimate. We have flagstone for coping, salt concrete and carribean blue quartz scape. I don't think, we've automation but let me post a list of what equipments we have. Thank you!

To help as well - I did basic 15 by 30, built in spa and sun ledge, added Pebblesheen by PebbleTec and the Pentair automation, heater included for the spa - $56K total two years ago. That was basic / minimal decking, included repair of fence and sprinkler system and two pallets of sod.

View attachment 59112Here are few pics oView attachment 59115View attachment 59116f design and dimensions. We believe that we got a good price initially on pool because we are bringing 2 more referral to them. However, adding the spa did hurt us a little bit, that's what we are thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much GDN, for some reason, whenever I'm replying with a quote to your response then, it doesn't let me add space between words. I'm using a chrome laptop. Therefore, i've to just reply to the thread but I appreciate your help on sharing the cost. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Very nice layout and design. I'd say your pool is just slightly larger than mine, but same on product. I have Oklahoma stone for coping and standard cool deck. And now for what you didn't ask for but you've added pictures - so another opinion. I love the ledge with bubbler and steps - but I'd move it to the other side of the spa just to make it closer to the house and more convenient for getting in and out and to be closer to the house (purely my opinion, but you can't move them later). I like the spa on the back side so that you can see the waterfall in to the pool, but I'd want the steps closer to the house. I've got a couple of pics in photobucket - I need to find the links to share. I will add when you see the pics of mine - they really got the hot tub too far in to the pool, it should have been out further, but I didn't see how that was turning out until the shotcrete was in and it was too late then.

Thank you GDN, I added the pic and removed the contact details because of forum rules. Did you mean they are not good folks? Sorry, i didn't get you there. Please PM me if you've any insights.

Now, about the ledge and steps, those were on the other side however, that was blocking the full swim length of the pool. That's why we moved it out to the other side to get the full length. Also, this side is our kitchen so, we thought that, it would be better to not have it too crowded around the kitchen, whenever we've people around. I totally agree that, there is cons to moving it to the other side but we gave more importance to swim length. Who knows we might change it again. Our spa was also too much inside in the pool and we noticed and asked them to move it out. It still should be little further but anytime, we make a change, its so much hassle that, we kind of left it there. Please share if you think, we are not thinking right about moving the steps and ledge the other way around.

Thank you for your reply. We are also told that when our kids become teen then they will use the spa more than us :) Not too sure about that, however from selling perspective, it is going to be a plus i guess. However, i've also heard that, pool doesn't add anything to the price of a house however, when we bought the house, all the 4600 sqft houses with pool were definitely more than without the pool. The difference between a stand alone spa and a built in is roughly 6-7K, which is kind of manageable, i guess.

IMO if you are going with aesthetics go with the built in, if you are going for comfort go with stand alone. With that said I'm just south of you and 52k for both is a good price, close to what i paid with out the spa!! I personally like the looks of a built in spa

- - - Updated - - -

Wow!! that's super pretty!! Thank you so much for sharing your pics. Ours also doesn't include landscaping etc. They Quote everything so high that, its better to do it separately.
This is what we ended up with - landscaping not included :)

When doing a spa it is typical for a builder to add 10k to the price. The heater alone is around 2k if you bought it so you figure the builder is going to charge $2500-$3k so he makes a margin. Then you have the extra excavation, plumbing , rebar, gunite, plaster, with all that your looking at $3-$5k then tack on the margin for the builder and depending on the size of the pool or how long the equipment run is you may need and extra pump.
On the real estate side it is 2 fold... first is generally IF the market is good a pool can add $10-$15k depending on the condition and the type of finishes including landscaping . No perspective buyer goes around the side and looks at the equipment unless they are a member here at TFP ;). Now remember this is IF the market is good so never put in a pool as an investment for your home but Instead look at it as investment for your family
The second part of real estate is that even if it doesn't add to the house of you have 2 similar houses generally the one with the pool will sell faster unless the buyer is completely against pools. So even in a "luke warm" market you may not get extra money but you can sell faster than your neighbor.
But I really like your design and from the quotes I got and everything I read you are getting a good deal. You can always take your final stand to get your builders committed and just tell him "let's do 50k right now and I will sign" he will do one of two things.... say yes or split the difference. If you think he will split the difference I might tell him 49k today and we will do it lol
Good luck and keep us updated and lots of pics! I'm in to see this through with you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like yall will have an amazing pool.... I highly suggest a table, we opted a built in table over a spa, figured us adults would really use the table more.... and we do!

image_zpsnl64jgzc.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.