What should I do?

Apr 1, 2017
Virginia Beach VA
Test results for a SWG 13500 rectangle pool in full sunlight. Running the SWG at 25%. The water is crystal clear and all the equipment is running fine. The local pool store is telling me I'm not generating enough chlorine. They are saying to raise alkalinity and stabilizer and bring the pool to schock level. What are the normal limits for alkalinity and stabilizer for my particular pool. It's been 75 degrees the past couple of days but I do not see any algae anywhere in the pool. Thank you.

Alkalinity- 57
PH-7.6
Calcium Hardness-184
Total chlorine-.35
Free chlorine-.15
Chlorine stabilizer-21
Borate-38
Salt-3500

I am going to share a set of links with you. It is for pools that are new to people or people new to TFP:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small!

All of our ways are based on having our own test kit. The one I like the best is in my siggy below. It has more of the regents we use on a daily bases. I know the Pool $tore will test for free but we have found they get it wrong more than right AND they are in the business of selling stuff. Here at TFP we are here to make pools sparkle and people smile!

How long have you had this pool? I would go get some chlorine/bleach (same stuff just different %). Make sure it is plain, no pretty smells bleach to get your FC up. We have found a SWG is not good for getting the FC up. That needs to be done with liquid chlorine/bleach THEN the SWG should be able to help keep it where you want it to be.

:hug: I look forward to seeing your pool!

Kim:kim:

Gap,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all SWCG pool owners... :lovetfp:

Even the dreaded Pool $tore can't be that far off on your FC level, so it looks to me like your SWCG is not producing the chlorine you need.

You say the SWCG is set to 25%, but that is only part of the answer.. How long is the pump running? The SWCG will only work if the pump is on.

You can test to see if the SWCG is working, one of two ways..

The quick way, which gives you a yes/no kind of answer, is easy.. Take a sample of your water, away from any return port. Measure the FC level and record. Turn the SWCG up to 100% and turn the pump on. Put an empty plastic bottle right in front of the pool return closest to the equipment pad and capture the water coming out of the return. Measure the FC/chlorine level and compare to your first test. If the SWCG is working you will notice a significant difference. This test can be done with any cheap test kit as accuracy is not important.

There is a much more accurate way to test your SWCG's output, but it requires an accurate test kit, like the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. Let me know if you are interested and I'll provide the test procedure.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.