Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bugs on pool top rails

1. Back To Top    #1

Bugs on pool top rails

I wasn't sure where to post this so I will try here. I have been seeing a lot of these critters lately and am not sure what they are or how to get rid of them. My wife says they are no-see-ums although we can see um when there are this many. They were biting her but I wasn't bitten. I have had bad experiences with no-see-ums in Florida. Ouch! and I never did see um. They seem to come out more after a rain and seem to really like this white railing. They also fly around out by the pool. I have not noticed them anywhere else or really noticed them until we installed this pool (new pool by the way). Thanks for any info.

24' x 52" 13.5K gal. Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG pool. Pentair CC200 Cartridge Filter. Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump. Dolphin E-10 robot. TF-100 Test Kit. Confer CCX-AG with curve add on pool steps. My Pool Build.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bugs on pool top rails

We also call those no see ums and they are very irritating little pests. They do bite and are annoying.
    Not really sure on what to do t get rid of them. I will occasionally fog the back yard especially around the pool and under the deck. It helps with the mosquitoes but those little bugs just come in waves and then they are gone for a while. Inevitably they always come back for some period of time. I hope someone has some ideas as I'd like to know how to get them away period.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

If you didn't have them before, they rode in on that new dirt you just added.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. I just happened to see a home video from about 5 years ago where my wife mentions she is getting bit by no-see-ums so I guess they have been here before. They just didn't have a nice big watering hole place to party. They weren't as thick on the rail today so hopefully they are leaving / dying.
    24' x 52" 13.5K gal. Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG pool. Pentair CC200 Cartridge Filter. Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump. Dolphin E-10 robot. TF-100 Test Kit. Confer CCX-AG with curve add on pool steps. My Pool Build.

5. Back To Top    #5

They won't last long drinking chlorinated pool water.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help