Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First house pool and open!

1. Back To Top    #1

First house pool and open!

So I bought a house in December, here's what the pool looked like in the pictures

So I decided to open and upon arrival to my local pool store I realize I know zero about the pool. Gallons, liner/fiberglass, filter type. NOTHING!

So I call my permit office to get info off the og permit... no permit haha. Well the owner of the pool place looked at various pictures and said it's fiberglass with a concrete bottom. Turns out it is!

I brought a hand written "open pool" list written on the inside of my shed and picked up a bottle of Algecide and 16 gallons of shock. After arriving home I pull the cover and move to the pump.... well there I'm met with a confusing set up with two "in valves" a waste valve and the out valve. I find a plug hidden in the in valve to the pump basket (it took me awhile to find that one).

I finally get it primed, backwashed and working (it's a sand filter).

I'm still a bit confused about the two in valves. I have one side basket skimmer and I'm guessing I have an inlet at the bottom of the pool that I just can't see ATM. But maybe not. Finally got those opened and the jets shot on telling me that there's circulation. Algecide and 8g of shock in. Some vacuuming and I called it a night. Another 8g of shock tomorrow. Any tips?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First house pool and open!

Hi! That is a very pretty pool and area! I am glad the pool store was able to help with knowing what kind of pool it is. See if they also sell liquid chlorine. That will be helpful to know for the future.

I have a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a LOT of info so take it slow and easy.

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small!

You also need to get your own test kit. I know the Pool $tore will test your water for free but.......they tend to get it wrong more than right AND they are in business to sell you stuff. Note in the link about recommenced chemicals that most of the stuff can be bought at Walmart for a LOT less than the "fancy pool" stuff at the pool $tore. Look in my siggy for the test kit I think is the best bang for the buck.

For the equipment please share a picture so we can make sure we know what we are talking about.

you are going to love having a pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit