Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Cleaner that climbs steep inclines

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Cleaner that climbs steep inclines

bermuda.jpg

I have this type of pool with fairly steep inclines. My budget is around $500, but if $1000 gets me something much better, I am open to it.

Any suggestions to a robot or cleaner that can handles those 60 deg inclines in the deep end?
    26,000 Gallon IG (in ground) Vinyl Pool
    Filter: Hayword S220T Sand
    Pump: Hayword (1 hp)
    CircuPool Si-45 Plus SWG (Installed myself)
    TF-100 Kit w/ magnetic stirrer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Cleaner that climbs steep inclines

Quote Originally Posted by Poolipop View Post
    bermuda.jpg

I have this type of pool with fairly steep inclines. My budget is around $500, but if $1000 gets me something much better, I am open to it.

Any suggestions to a robot or cleaner that can handles those 60 deg inclines in the deep end?
    I would check out the dolphin S300 or s300i

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this comparable to the S100 or S200:
    Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with CleverClean | 99993116-US

Is it worth the extra $$ to get the S300 type if I just care about cleanliness

4. Back To Top    #4

Based on this chart - The Truth About Pool Cleaners: What Your Pool Store Isn’t Telling You | Sunplay

Dolphin Nautilus (2017 and Later) = Dolphin Cayman = Dolphin Active 20 = Dolphin S200 = Pentair Prowler 920
    Basically with robots, you have to figure which features you absolutely need and then find out what the suppliers in your area are stocking. Maytronics pretty much supplies the entire robot industry with various models and platforms creating their own product line as well as manufacturing the brand name labels for major pool equipment suppliers (i.e., Pentair's robot is actually made by Maytronics). So there's often not much difference in the name...

Also, I would suggest you buy local from a brick & mortar shop so that you have a local repair option. Many people will sometimes try to save a hundred bucks or so buying online and then have to ship their robots out when trouble strikes. I recently went with an S300i for the options and because the shop I bought it from is an authorized Dolphin repair shop and is 3 miles from my home.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I think you would be happy with the S100 or the Doheny's Saturn.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I think you would be happy with the S100 or the Doheny's Saturn.
    This would be my first pool cleaner and due to the complexity of the structure of my pool, I want to make sure the robot can clean most of the complex surface area. There is not much flat area in the deep end, so I need something that can understand lots of inclines.

Does the S100 understand the layout of your pool or does it just run a pre-programmed pattern?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

The S100 (same as Dolphin Cayman) does have intelligence. See the following link. http://www.caymanrobotic.com/

Note regarding the above model listing, there are some inaccuracies in it. Dolphin Nautilus/Nautilus Plus 2017 models are not twins to the S100 or S200. Dolphin Cayman = S100= Dolphin E10= Doheny Saturn. S200=Active 20, Doheny Discovery=Dolphin Triton Plus. Among others.

S100 has one brush and one year warranty, S200 has two brushes and two year warranty. Not much else is different.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you called around to local stores and asked about a demo model? At least two of the shops I talked with local to me were willing to let me demo the unit I was interested in for a week to see if I liked it at no cost. It might help you decide.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

I will take some action and report back. It could be a couple weeks at this point. Thanks for the help.

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, with all the advice here I ordered the Active S20 (S200)!! So excited. Thanks again.

11. Back To Top    #11

Woohoo!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

You're going to love the robot. Congrats on the purchase.

Matt

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Welcome to the club!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Great feedback on this tread just purchased the s300 and Absolutely love the product!!! You