First year opening pool - not sure what order to do things

gsvogt

Apr 11, 2017
Shelby, Ohio
We have an Intex 24x12x52 Ultra Frame Saltwater pool. Put a winter Aquapill in it and covered it in Oct. Uncovered it this past weekend - it is green. Not sure what order to do things like when to add water, when to hook up pump, what to do about the water, etc. We didn't have good luck last year with keeping it sparkly clean - seemed like we dealt with algae most of the summer. Where do we start?

Hi, and welcome to TFP! The best place to start is by ordering a good quality test kit. The only two we recommend are the Taylor K-2006 and the TF-100. After you get done ordering that, pool school is your next stop to familiarizing yourself with the chemistry based approach we recommend. A small learning curve, but oh so easy to maintain that sparkling pool you've wished for.

For an Intex pool you have two options. Depending on how expensive your water is, you could dump and refill. Or if you want to use your current water you certainly can. You would get out any debris, fill pool up, start filtration and then SLAM your pool per Pool School instructions. Likely it will mean CYA then bleach and more bleach depending on the results from a recommended test kit as noted above.

Keep your SWCG off until your pool is sparkly and the SLAM is finished (if you don't refill).

We had such trouble last year with algae and keeping a clean pool, the more I have read I have decided to get a new pump and filter - can anyone suggest one that will keep our water clean? We have a 24x12x52 Intex Ultra Frame pool (8000 gal) with SWG. Looking at either the Intex 28651EG or the 28679EG (not sure what size I actually need) and the Hayward SP1091LX or the SP1091WM (again, not sure). Anyone give some advice?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.